Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Adian

Default Need opinions

Hey everyone, Next Monday I am having my body kit installed on my 06 V-6, and while doing that there are a few other mods I want to do so I can have it all done at the same time...I am going with the Boy Racer body kit with the exception of the wing, instead I am going with a duck tail spoiler from Street Scene, the build on ponybuilder.com looks nice...With that I am adding two white racing stripes, my car is the lighter blue can't remember the exact name of it, and am thinking about American Thunder exhaust by Flowmaster??? (Opinions of this on a V-6?)...In conjunction with this I am looking at American Racing Razor Shelby wheels, I like the gunmetal color versus the polished chrome...My question on the wheels is the size?...I want to be sure that there is no rubbing with the new wheel wells, should be about 3/4" further out than stock...I decided to do all the body work first since it is the most expensive for me, have to do it all at once, where as with the engine I can buy bolt on mods a few at a time and not have as large of an expense.

Second I am wanting to put a CAI and get a flash tuner...I really have no experience with the tuners and am wanting some more info on where to get them, average costs, how they work, does it just plug into your car's computer system?...So you have to store the original settings to flash back to if you have to take your car in for warranty work?...What can I expect from doing a flash tune?...Do all CAI's need to be retuned after installation?

Is there anything out on any new cam's for the V-6's? My goals is to get up enough to outrun my ex-father in law's GT, just to hurt his ego...Can anyone else think of any other good additions I should consider?

Thanks for the help/advice in advance...As soon as they get done with it all I will be sure to post up pics for everyone
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Cloud 9
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need opinions

Not much on body kits. You could save that money and put it towards making your 6 faster. His feelings would be hurt more if he was beat by what looked like a stock V6. If I were you, I'd work it from the inside out.

Just my .02
Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

If the cars an S197 GT, then you will need more than bolt ons. Get juiced, a blower or a turbo.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

LOL. Why do you want to beat you Ex-Father-in-Law? Didn't you **** him off enough already? Just kidding!

Anyway, the diameter of the Razors you ultimately buy will depend on your plan for brakes. The 18" Razors will fit without spacers on the stock hub but if you plan to get a big brake kit in the future then you will HAVE to go to 20". Shelby Autos tested both and determined that with only a 24mm offset the big brake kit they are selling will not fit on the 18". And BTW, the offset will bring the wheels just beyond the outside fender edge.

As for the CAI and tuner, there's a lot of info on this site about sponsors/advertisers who sell canned tunes and CAI's. IMO most people would recommend Evolution Performance, Alternative Auto, Bamachips, Brenspeed, etc. (not necessarily in that order). At any rate, with some research and knowing your own car, you can't go wrong with any of these folks. Again in my opinion. Costs depending on blowout sales and negotiating skills, I understand right now range from $525 to $675. They work great and if you own an automatic tranny the adjusted shift points will make you very happy indeed! It plugs right in to a connector under the dash on the driver's side - easy install. Yes, you will be required to store your stock program and I would recommend you return it to stock before going in for warranty work. And finally, I don't understand what you mean about CAI's having to be returned after installation.

Ha!Ha!Ha! As for beating your Ex-Father-in-Laws GT after these mods. Hmmmmm ..... if he owns an SN95 (1999 - 2004) I don't think so; you certainly will not beat an SN197 GT (2005 - 2007). But I'm sure guys like Rygen, Scrmng, Fazm have real-world stats on how close you'll get. They're great guys and I'm sure if you PM them they'll answer pronto.

Anyway, that's IMO and I'm sure you'll get alot more info from the rest of the guys/gals on this board.

John
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Adian

Sorry didn't mean re-turning in my first post, meant the retune after install of a CAI, my bad...Do we have anything about good cams that will give me a good boost...My ex-father in law works on race cars and thinks he has all the power, just want to mess with him a little and beat his car that he is trying to keep running...Do the tuners come with instructions on how to store tunes that are already on the car, factory?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

Sorry didn't mean re-turning in my first post, meant the retune after install of a CAI, my bad...Do we have anything about good cams that will give me a good boost...My ex-father in law works on race cars and thinks he has all the power, just want to mess with him a little and beat his car that he is trying to keep running...Do the tuners come with instructions on how to store tunes that are already on the car, factory?
The tuner comes with instructions, if you can use a tv remote, you can use a tuner. There are no cam options out for our cars yet, just replacement blocks from SSM. Stick with bolt ons, maybe some juice, or get a turbo or SC.