Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are alarms pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:16 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Are alarms pointless?

im not gonna lie im too lazy to read allof that. but our cars dosome with in cabin motion sensors and altitude sensors that will set off our horn for 5 mins.. when you lock your car with your key fob and hte horn honks and hte lights falsh.. if you unlock your car without the key fob you will set off your own alarm.. i think it takes 30sec - 1min to engage after you lock the doors
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

Just remembered what the other system is called thats like lojack but better.. I beleive its called Guide Point. I think the guy at the ford dealership told me it was 800 i think. Something like that maybe 600. One time fee and once every like 2 years someone needs to check on it. Heres the website www.guidepointsystems.com/ I was gonna get this but my car is always in the garage for now. Might get it in the future
Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

My opinion on alarms is it raises attention. My car got, well tried to get broken into last week. The tried to pry from the top corner of the passenger door, something must have scared them off cause they stopped and left....no glass got broken, they didnt make it in, This tells me that if I had an alarm on my car, when they first touched it they would have been scared away and i could have acoided some costly damage. There is no way in the world an alarm can stop a theif, and for the most part, its not going to prevent the actual car form being stolen. But with 75% or so of break ins resulting in petty theft, you stand alot better chance of stopping the ******* early if you have an alarm that makes him move on to the next car....this is especially helpful if you park in front of your home....cause then you can go out and chase the guy.

Im going to put an alarm on my car here in the next week or so....maybe it will keep the honestpeople out
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I'm a retired police officer from the DC area. YES, car alarms are about worthless. The only exception MIGHT be if you get a system where you get paged when the alarm goes off. If you are reasonably close to the car, you might be able to get a look at the guy who is stealing something from the car (or the car). They go off in error most of the time and I put them in the same category with LOJACK, worthless.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Trinity
1st Gear Member

From what I understand LoJack is regional only and not accessible to you - the owner - only the police. Its not active until you report the car stolen. To me, that's not good enough. Do I honestly believe my Ford alarm systems and theft deterrent systems will keep my baby from getting stolen? No. But, I do know that my GPS system installed in the car will notify me via e-mail if it is being started without being disarmed or if the alarm has been activated, it will tell me where the car is if ever I wander into the parking lot to find it empty, and I can give that access to the police. Also, knowing that I can shut down the car remotely through the internet (even internet by phone) is cool. But, all this aside, no system is fool proof, right? That is why we have full insurance coverage that we pay out the a$$ for and Gap insurance to boot.

===========
EDIT:

I bought Mobile Guardian for my 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang and transferred it over to the 2006 Stampede when I did the trade in. I paid only one purchase price of around $500-600 which was rolled into my 2004 Mustang and no monthly fees. Total peace of mind since 2004.

Try this demo: Mobile Guardian
===========
Old 09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Well as far as going with the viper, there are a couple different models you can go with( you will have to research this on your own) I know that yes the viper has an alarm on it and no one pays attention to it. But There is one model that comes with a remote that has a picture of a car on it. So if someone opens your car it will go off on the remote as someone is opening the door. Now if someone breaks the window i have no idea. Also if you like to be a show off you can also start your car from the remote. The catch is tho if you start the car and get in you need to put the key in the ignition or the car will turn off. I so go for it. I think its cool.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38656/0E8BB0A848B44692831195FCAB6D8F1C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
jlpskydive
1st Gear Member

three weeks ago my F150 got broken into this was 2 days before I took delivery of my GT. No alarm on the 150 so I slept soundly as the Fing thieves robed my truck. Now with the alarm on the car it will only take seconds before a Ruger P94 .40 comes through the front window of my house and I politely ask the thieves to get the hell out of my driveway. So yes I my situation the alarm is worth it. I have tested it and it works fairly well. These are local kids that steal whatever they can and don't hit cars that are difficult. Turns out that they come around about every other month. Thought I moved to a nice neighborhood??? Maybe too nice. They hit 16 cars last time. My worst fear is they keep getting away with it and get bolder and move to breaking into houses and me or the misses has to shoot one of them. They better prey it's me holding the gun, she's a way better shot than me and much quicker to the trigger.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:13 AM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

You want to be a hard target, not an easy one. Yes it's true, if they really want it, they'll get it. But once they realize that that v6 is going to be a pain in the *** to steal, they might just move on to the eclipse in the next parking spot.

It's kind of like running with the bulls. You don't have to be the fastest, but you sure dont want to be the slowest. You don't need to be behind 7 inches of bulletproof glass, but you don't want to be the easiest car to hop in and steal.

I work with cop records and dispatch software. I see first-hand what kind of cars get stolen. Pro's dont target high dollar high-profile cars. They grab cheap civics and saturn ions and the like, easy to chop and shop, and quick bucks. They want "new" parts to sell on ebay.

You go steal a prowler or a ford GT, hell a vette or a mustang gt. Now you have to get rid of it. You have to drive it to the chop shop with everybody you passing turning to look. Thiefs don't like attracting everybody's attention.

As for smashing a window and grabbing the stereo, that's punk-work, and an alarm will make them flee like roaches.

jlpskydive: don't know where you live but be careful. All that talk of "if they're on my property I have the right" isn't necessarily true and you might want to check into the actual laws in your state/county. I'd hate to serve a murder or manslaughter sentence because of the two bucks in my center console. Me, I have a motion activated cam and lights on my driveway. Cheap insurance. If the neighbourhood kids want to mess around, they'll be picked up the next day by my cop buddies. I'd rather ruin an a-holes life than take it any day.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
jlpskydive
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, but no one will get a hole punched in them unless they have enterd the house. Breaking into my car will get you yelled at and hopefully a giid scare, but nothing more. COme inside and that's a whole different story. BTW there's an alarm on the house as well.