Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sound system

i'm no fan of Alpine HU's. we've had three in years past (two purchased, one already came with car). they all were crap. sure they sounded good in the beginning but after some time and use, the buttons dont work and a couple even fell off. this was the first purchase. we bought another because of a good deal we got and thought that maybe we just got a bad unit the first time. WRONG, same thing happened to this unit. the one that came with our used car was slightly better since the buttons didnt fall off but they did refuse to work from time to time. since then, i've only purchased Pioneer. they've been very good to me. oh yeah, sony's do make crappy HU's also. dont know why since they make nice home entertainment systems[>:].
Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

First thing I would buy is a new deck. You will definitely hear a difference right away. Secondly with all the different type of speakers that is out. The best advice is to listen to all the different type of speakers aout there. Then you will know what sound you are looking for and a budget. Check out diffrent forums on audio and see all the opinions. Just remember take all opinions with a grain of salt. Check out my old car in my photobucket account and if you have any questions just send a PM. Check out the a/v section here. Preal, Hiss, Ttoccs, seight311 are all exteremely knowledgeable and will be glad to help. Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

A comment was made earlier to do it right rather than halfass. just so you know, doing it right and getting power will cost top dollar. very much worth it, but youre gonna be digging deep into your wallet. i dropped 3 grand on a mid/high-grade stereo system (according to my standards) and im about to re-vamp it with another $1500 worth of equipment. but i agree with the before statements, get a good head unit. (i like eclipse, personally) theyre not a huge brand name, but they make really good stuff. but DONT get a chreap head unit or cheap amps. a good headunit will preolly run you about 300. mine was 350ish. i cant remember off the top of my head. but if you decide you cant go deep into it now, replace it piece by peice with what you WANT, not what you can afford at the time, or just wait and get it all at once. but once again, WAIT AND GET WHAT YOU WANT. dont buy something just because its a good price or whatever. a good sound system will last a long time and crap will blow out anyways and you'll have to replace it. so buy quality. also check with a reputable place where youre gonna look at stuff. dont just buy off Crutchfields. you have to make sure the possibilities of wiring the voicecoils and their impedances will match up to your amps. thats the biggest thing. impedance matching is what makes a stereo sound good.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Praline
1st Gear Member

I just put in a set of Infinity 6822cf 6x8s in the doors and they sound awesome with the stock head unit. They run atalower impedance (like 2.65 ohms) so the stock head unitcan actually deliver more power. I also have a JL Audio slash series amp and 12" JL Audio sub in the back. Very happy with it. The slash series amps let you tie right in to stock systems with no signal degradation. I'm not quite ready to replace the whole stock system yet. Maybe next year after I get some bils paid off. I also Dynamatted the doors and rear deck, no more rattles!! Thank GOD.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

take this to the a/v section and you'll get better response from people like ttoccs and hiss, give them abudget, what you want to add and what music you listen to and they'll give you some really worth while options
Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

2 Alpine Type-X Subwoofers. 3000 watts each. For sale. Been sittin in box in garage for months. Used maybe, a month. ****ty amps blew but subs are perfect. Anyone want them 400 shipped for everything. Im in Tampa, FL PM if interested. Thanks