Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

procharger...skeptical

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:39 AM
ThePointman

Default RE: procharger...skeptical

Hmm initial cost I get ... who the hell cares that they got beat by a V6? Like 1,000,000th of the population?, V6 have sold like wildfire cause they are cheap ;-) 1 triillion dolllars err.... wrong movie, but seriously everyone knows that the stock V6 block, pistons etc ... will not take any serious consistent pounding right? You beat on it and it WILL blow up just ask the yellow guy ... Great Car though I LOVE mine.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThePointman

Hmm initial cost I get ... who the hell cares that they got beat by a V6? Like 1,000,000th of the population?, V6 have sold like wildfire cause they are cheap ;-) 1 triillion dolllars err.... wrong movie, but seriously everyone knows that the stock V6 block, pistons etc ... will not take any serious consistent pounding right? You beat on it and it WILL blow up just ask the yellow guy ... Great Car though I LOVE mine.
if you follow the threads... the "yellow car guy" lost his motor because of a Nitrous nozzle malfunction, not from "pounding". He "pounds" his 4.0 with F/I now. rygen "pounds" his 4.0 into the low 12's without problems. There are many others here and on other boards that are very happy with the performance/longevity their F/I 4.0s
Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ummmmm... your wrong... Powerhouse has run all seaon on a stock 4.0L with their turbo and I believe most of the seaon was at like 23 PSI!!! It's all about the tune and what octance you are willing to run! I'm aware of 3 instances where pistons have failed. 2 of them were due so sheer GREED with the Nitrous and the other one was due to what was most likely a poor "canned" supercharger tune. (i highly recommend custom dyno tune if you go F/I). With a good tune and 91+ Octane our 4.0L will safely run 300+RWHP on a supercharger... The turbo guys are making even more HP and at less boost! Another example is the MRT Cherry 6T6... Twin Turbo with 7.5 PSI of boost putting down 350RWHP! Been running that way for over a year... on an all stock 4.0L!!! So dispite what some "article" have claimed the 4.0L is taking boost extremely well! Seem we are adding more boosted 4.0L's to the fold every week!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:44 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

if you follow the threads... the "yellow car guy" lost his motor because of a Nitrous nozzle malfunction, not from "pounding". He "pounds" his 4.0 with F/I now. rygen "pounds" his 4.0 into the low 12's without problems. There are many others here and on other boards that are very happy with the performance/longevity their F/I 4.0s

Sorry wasn't a nozzle malfuction that actually broke the piston... it was a brain malfuction! LOL! I got GREEDY!!! I moved to the 125HP shot when I should have stayed at the 100HP jets... And then I sprayed early (2000 RPM when it's recommended not to spray below 2500) in an attempt to get into the 12's... A piece of the piston ring landing broke off... i was probably pushing close to 500 ft/lbs at the wheels! LOL!

oh.. i did suffer a nozzle malfunciton but I the motor was already broke at that point! LOL!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Simple, building a faster 4.0 is more fun, more unique. And to some, yes it does count.

Also, the 3V hasn't proven to be any stronger in all honestly. Yes, its a better baseline to start from, but around 500 HP, they have been known to have issues and pop a pistion as well. Remember, they have the same hyper-pathetic pistions as us. And we have a cast iron block, which not as easy to work on as the mod motor, its technically stronger. Again, you want all the HP you can get, start with a GT.

Also, the only motor I know of currently available that is designed to take constant pounding is the terminator motor and the 5.4 in the GT500.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:49 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ummmmm... your wrong... Powerhouse has run all seaon on a stock 4.0L with their turbo and I believe most of the seaon was at like 23 PSI!!! It's all about the tune and what octance you are willing to run! I'm aware of 3 instances where pistons have failed. 2 of them were due so sheer GREED with the Nitrous and the other one was due to what was most likely a poor "canned" supercharger tune. (i highly recommend custom dyno tune if you go F/I). With a good tune and 91+ Octane our 4.0L will safely run 300+RWHP on a supercharger... The turbo guys are making even more HP and at less boost! Another example is the MRT Cherry 6T6... Twin Turbo with 7.5 PSI of boost putting down 350RWHP! Been running that way for over a year... on an all stock 4.0L!!! So dispite what some "article" have claimed the 4.0L is taking boost extremely well! Seem we are adding more boosted 4.0L's to the fold every week!!!

Good points John. On the PH V6 car, keep in mind it is a daily driver, and has now completed two track seasons under its belt with FI. I think the first track season was 12 and 14lbs and the second one they were messing with 23PSI. According to some, that motor should have popped by now. In fact, its daily driven by one of the relatives of a PH staff member to work, and on errands just to prove its reliability as a daily driver.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

i was probably pushing close to 500 ft/lbs at the wheels! LOL!
Indeed, and this is the same breaking point our GT brothers have found, right around that power level on our lovely hyper pathetic pistions! Thank you ford. LOL. Also, most FI guys are playing it safe with intercoolers, to reduce engine temps.

On the Procharger guy that had tune issues, he in fact ran the canned tune for 3 months very lean!!!!!! No wonder he broke it. You can run lean NA and break the motor.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Good points John. On the PH V6 car, keep in mind it is a daily driver, and has now completed two track seasons under its belt with FI. I think the first track season was 12 and 14lbs and the second one they were messing with 23PSI. According to some, that motor should have popped by now. In fact, its daily driven by one of the relatives of a PH staff member to work, and on errands just to prove its reliability as a daily driver.

Hey rygen wow I didn't know this could you tell some things.

How long have they been running 23psi?
How much rwhp & Tq?
What are the ET's?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:03 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Hey rygen wow I didn't know this could you tell some things.

How long have they been running 23psi?
How much rwhp & Tq?
What are the ET's?
Damn dude, you have FI radar?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Less than 15 minutes after Scrming posts this, and I follow up...you are on it like white on rice. LOL.

Ok, I don't know the dyno numbers, or the ET's on the 23psi run, I do know this. The car traps at 126MPH!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

I would go with the powerhouse turbo.. i went with the procharger cause at the time it wasnt ready yet ... but i myself am going DUAL poweradders. It will be tuned by some who tunes 4.0's so i shouldnt have issues...