Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need info on the v6 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:07 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default Need info on the v6 Convertible

I found at the local dealer an 05 Convertible w/'pony package' (multi color dash lights, shaker 500, and something else I can't remember right now lol) leather seats, the car has 3800 miles on it and still smells new. Black exterior, black top, red interior. I'll be getting it for $20,000 (USD) Not really a lot of these cars around here so the price is firm. Took it for a test drive and here are my thoughts vs our 06 Mustang GT convertible; Before any of you V6 guys start raggin on me I wasn't comparing performance because our GT is far from stock. (see sig it's incomplete but one would get the idea)
Now the V6 05 vert is louder exhaust at 5500+ RPM. Feels like more then 210 hp (salesman said it had 250-260 hp don't think so as it's 100% stock) Brakes fade quickly when pushed and look to be at least 1 inch smaller rotors then the 06 GT.

Any one know a MSRP for Premium 05 V6 Vert (appears to have all the options) side air bad, leather, shaker 500 6 disc, rear deck spoiler, automatic transmission (5 gears), interior upgrade kit, ABS/traction control, (NO limited slip! Our GT will NOT burn out just one tire!!) and a side side stripe with Mustang down the door.

Do these 4.0 V6 wake up to CAI and a good tune as much as a GT?

Can one get a limited slip rear end and what gears were in this car?

Oh and last we'll be getting this car to keep my wife and daughter out of "MY" car! lol

Thanks in advance!!
05SDI
Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 AM
XtacY
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need info on the v6 Convertible

20K for this car is WAY too much. Look on ebay. 05 verts are going for 16k.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

05SDI Date 9/29/2006 4:07:09 AM
I found at the local dealer an 05 Convertible w/'pony package' (multi color dash lights, shaker 500, and something else I can't remember right now lol) leather seats, the car has 3800 miles on it and still smells new. Black exterior, black top, red interior. I'll be getting it for $20,000 (USD) Not really a lot of these cars around here so the price is firm. Took it for a test drive and here are my thoughts vs our 06 Mustang GT convertible; Before any of you V6 guys start raggin on me I wasn't comparing performance because our GT is far from stock. (see sig it's incomplete but one would get the idea) Now the V6 05 vert is louder exhaust at 5500+ RPM. Feels like more then 210 hp (salesman said it had 250-260 hp don't think so as it's 100% stock) Brakes fade quickly when pushed and look to be at least 1 inch smaller rotors then the 06 GT.

Any one know a MSRP for Premium 05 V6 Vert (appears to have all the options) side air bad, leather, shaker 500 6 disc, rear deck spoiler, automatic transmission (5 gears), interior upgrade kit, ABS/traction control, (NO limited slip! Our GT will NOT burn out just one tire!!) and a side side stripe with Mustang down the door.

Oh and last we'll be getting this car to keep my wife and daughter out of "MY" car! lol

Thanks in advance!!
05SDI
My car is similarly optioned ('cept the spoiler), and my original MSRP was $29,095.00 (I just checked the window sticker). Check http://www.kbb.com or http://www.edmunds.com to get a good idea of the car's value now in your area.

These cars DO respond to CAI/tunes. The throttle lag will be greatly diminished, and the car will feel like it has more low-end torque afterwards, BUT it will not be as fast as a GT. I believe the original rear is a 3.31:1 ratio. Lower ratios like 3.73's and 4.10's are popular changes, done at the same time as a Limited Slip Differential. Front brake rotors/calipers can be upgraded to GT take-off pieces (or aftermarket). If the wife & daughter complain about brake-fade, then you know that they are driving the car too hard! [&:]

Good Luck!!!

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

20K seems like a good price to me, especially with the low mileage and heavy optioning.

These cars respond quite nicely to performance mods. 28hopup is correct, stock gearing is 3:31's.

I'm currently running 3.73's with a Detroit Truetrac LSD, as well as a C&L CAI w/ Bamachips retuning. The car moves quite nicely (the CAI and tune brought the rwhp up to 199.83, rwtq to 226.13)

(Tho' I am putting a supercharger in next week, more is always better )
Old 09-29-2006, 01:04 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Mine with 7k miles, IUP, shaker 500, etc, was 19 grand, and thats 3 or 4 grand below blue book. I just looked it up, and for my car the blue book is $23,460.

Sounds likea good deal.. You're still getting warranty, and all of that.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

I found at the local dealer an 05 Convertible w/'pony package' (multi color dash lights, shaker 500, and something else I can't remember right now lol) leather seats, the car has 3800 miles on it and still smells new.

Thanks in advance!!
05SDI
Are you sure it is a 2005? The Pony package was an option starting in 2006. If it has the Pony package, then it has to have been modified some. The 2006 Pony package has the 17" wheel/tire combination like on the GT, as well as an upgraded suspension like the GT (I think Ford called it "GT inspired", but it is beefed up from the standard V6) with front and rear sway bars.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:50 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC

Are you sure it is a 2005? The Pony package was an option starting in 2006. If it has the Pony package, then it has to have been modified some. The 2006 Pony package has the 17" wheel/tire combination like on the GT, as well as an upgraded suspension like the GT (I think Ford called it "GT inspired", but it is beefed up from the standard V6) with front and rear sway bars.

Jim, Sorry for the confusion the term 'pony package' was my term not THE dealers. (I didn't know 05 didn't have a package called that)
But it is a fully loaded V6 convertible.
Bottom line :
We are a 3 mustang family!!
My wifes first 3 comments after she drove it home....
1) Needs a radar detector!
2) Needs more power. (this surprised me coming from her) But she meant when she wants to pass someone on the highway (lol guess everyone likes blown power after all!)
3) Rides real nice compared to our lowered GT that's ridin on 20's.

Anyway thanks guys for the info! I'm sure we will enjoy this car as much as our GT... well maybe close anyway!
05SDI
Old 09-30-2006, 01:05 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Post pics of all three together, plz...
Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

I found at the local dealer an 05 Convertible w/'pony package' (multi color dash lights, shaker 500, and something else I can't remember right now lol) leather seats, the car has 3800 miles on it and still smells new. Black exterior, black top, red interior. I'll be getting it for $20,000 (USD) Not really a lot of these cars around here so the price is firm.

Thanks in advance!!
05SDI
I've been looking around for a while now and in my neck of the woods, the 05 Hertz special verts are going
for about $17k and change from dealers, but they are NOT equipped like the one you found.

The Pony Package came out in 06, but you could duplicate MOST of it in 05 with the exception of the rear swaybar/what Ford calls "GT inspired Suspension".
This is from the factory of course.

As for brake fade, something isn't right because I drove a Hertz special for a week, and like a maniac in fact, and I didn't notice any weak brakes.
The V6 rotors are smaller so I suspect at least size wise the calipers have to be smaller as well in order to fit the diameter of the rotor but the car is lighter in the nose than the GT so it *should* balance out.

You are correct that these cars are rare.
In fact, used Mustangs in general are rare compared to other cars.

One thing I would check is a CarFax to see if it was a rental car and/or how many owners, which is about all CarFax is good for.
It doesn't sound like it was a rental because of the options, but you never know.
I got an absolutely loaded Volvo XCT one time from Hertz (great car BTW. but $$$$$$).

Proportionately compared to the coupe, the vert goes for about $5k more base price.

Best of luck!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Sounds exactly like mine but with leather interior, Sticker was $27,915... of course with the C&l / sct combo and mrt muffler / aluminum driveshaft and lsd rear... 18" wheels with eagle f1's the wife just mentioned that she wishes it would have only been $27915