Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

explorer express claim...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default explorer express claim...

1/4 MILE ACCELERATION
At the drag strip a CA spec X-CHARGER equipped 4.0 will walk stock or mildly modified GTs. Our X-CHARGER owners have turned mid to high 13 second quarter miles, with stock 3.31 gear ratio and open differential, stock except for aftermarket lower control arms.

that's what it says on the explorer express website....is this an exaggeration???mid 13's with just lca's (open diff, stock gearing, street rubber, stock stall for autos, stock driveshaft, etc.) ........who has done that? if those claims are true shouldn't the hi-po be easily capable of low 13's/high 12's with supporting traction mods? that puts the x-charger right with systems like vortech and procharger 1/4 mile performance wise doesn't it? Can anyone support that claim?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: explorer express claim...

Bscotti just ran a 13.2 on his peg leg HighPo kit. With water injection and LCA's. Not sure if he was running DR's. He posted about it here....

http://american-speed.com/collective...ead.php?t=4569

And Ron (navbtcret) ran a 13.5 with the cali version, I was there to witness that one. Ron was running MT DR's, lca, uca, PH DS and loop, line locks. Some other supporting mods.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Bscotti just ran a 13.2 on his peg leg HighPo kit. With water injection and LCA's. Not sure if he was running DR's.
wow that's very impressive! i'm just wondering about the claim on their site because the fastest i had seen until you posted this was that 13.6 by i think nav, but i know he had a good deal of suspension mods, with 3.73's and they were on drag radials....open diff, but still not even close to being stock other than lca's and the cali kit. If the cali kit has the potential for mid 13's with just lca's and someone can prove it, i am sold on the x-charger for sure.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

12's are possible with the high po kit I think.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

Bscotti just ran a 13.2 on his peg leg HighPo kit. With water injection and LCA's. Not sure if he was running DR's.
wow that's very impressive! i'm just wondering about the claim on their site because the fastest i had seen until you posted this was that 13.6 by i think nav, but i know he had a good deal of suspension mods, with 3.73's and they were on drag radials....open diff, but still not even close to being stock other than lca's and the cali kit. If the cali kit has the potential for mid 13's with just lca's and someone can prove it, i am sold on the x-charger for sure.

its a shame your not near me. i would let you take her for a spin i have since reinstalled the 3" pulley. so i am a true cali kit. i have over 10,000 miles on it and yes i only did back to back 14.1s. i also left the OD off and blew the starts. we only had 2 runs the night i went and it was my first time on the 1/4 mile. the car felt like it needed to shift near the end but with the od off i stayed in 4th. this unit is relativity new on these cars remember up until a few months ago i was the only one at the track and I'm not a racer i only did it to give some times for you guys now i may have hurt that because nav and biscotte def are doing there part. i see good things coming from this kit , i believe in it, i love the beauty and elegance of it. and the retro is icing on the cake for me
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 PM
pallidamors
Banned

what does the kit run and how difficult is it to install?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

4K I think and its considered the easiest of the SC/TC to install. Navbtcret and a couple others did a write up on it.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

http://explorerexpresscom.nationprot...hp?cPath=86_87

i'm still not exactly clear on what the hi-po has over the cali kit. From their site, i guess it just has a better intake...

i guess it's the easiest to install by a great deal from what i've heard. Since it is mounted directly on top of the motor where the stock intake manifold usually is and there is no piping at all besides the new intake, there really isn't alot you have to do. Plus, i have heard the instructions are perfect.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

here's some thing to think about... Nav and I have very similar setups... he has 3.73 and I have 4.10s... he was running SHORTER MT ETs (very sticky) and I was running TALLER M&Hs (so-so sticky)... so our gearing is actually about the same... Now my setup before my off-road pipe I was running low 13's... 13.2 into a 25MPH headwind! Compare this to Nav's 13.6 (which is what he has in the timeslip database... ???) And I could have easily swapped out the stock pulley and probably shaved another .2 off my ET...

And everyone talks about the low end grunt of the x-charger... hmmm... my 60' is actually a full .1 faster than an x-charger! LOL!

Sorry if I sound like a naysayer... but I don't know how a system that cost more and has less performance can be called impressive.. unless you are strictly judging it on looks... then yes, the x-charger is sex on wheels... but if you want max performance there are better options... IMHO....
Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

here's some thing to think about... Nav and I have very similar setups... he has 3.73 and I have 4.10s... he was running SHORTER MT ETs (very sticky) and I was running TALLER M&Hs (so-so sticky)... so our gearing is actually about the same... Now my setup before my off-road pipe I was running low 13's... 13.2 into a 25MPH headwind! Compare this to Nav's 13.6 (which is what he has in the timeslip database... ???) And I could have easily swapped out the stock pulley and probably shaved another .2 off my ET...

And everyone talks about the low end grunt of the x-charger... hmmm... my 60' is actually a full .1 faster than an x-charger! LOL!

Sorry if I sound like a naysayer... but I don't know how a system that cost more and has less performance can be called impressive.. unless you are strictly judging it on looks... then yes, the x-charger is sex on wheels... but if you want max performance there are better options... IMHO....

well you also need to take into account your driving ability. As far as i know you have been to the track with your car many more times than nav has with his setup. He is running the cali kit i beleive, while you are running the hi-po vortech kit. I thought you had drag suspension and a t-loc, along with some other suspension goodies...an lsd helps majorly on a launch with the kind of torque you are putting down, so who's to say with the same supporting mods you have, he wouldn't be running faster 60' than you?

you are also most likely talking about the price you got from mrt or their sale prices for the more expensive part, but on vortech's website-
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...005_v6_ho.html

the HO system (when totally complete, not the tuner kit) is pretty much exactly the same as the x-charger, and supposedly the x is much easier to install and takes less install time, so it is likely cheaper over all.

As rygen said earlier, bscottie ran a 13.2 with an open-diff with the hi-po kit. I can easily see 12's if he can do that with an open diff.

I can see what you are saying, but i think your argument is very biased and a bit unfair. Please don't take that in a disrespectful way, that's just my opinion. i thought the same thing for a while, but have recently seen some very impressive stuff.

Quick Reply: explorer express claim...