Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Will my tires EXPLODE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:06 AM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

Default Will my tires EXPLODE???

I'm new here so I'm sorry ifI sound dumb. I want to get a tuner to increase the power andraise the speed limiter of my stang but the tires are suposedly rated at 115. IfI (for some unknown reason ) end up going over 115 will my tires explode????????
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Will my tires EXPLODE???

ORIGINAL: drivingperson

I'm new here so I'm sorry ifI sound dumb. I want to get a tuner to increase the power andraise the speed limiter of my stang but the tires are suposedly rated at 115. IfI (for some unknown reason ) end up going over 115 will my tires explode????????
A. theirs no need to go over 80-90mph.
B. STOCK tires are rated at 90mph. They won't explode but you will most likely loose control of your car.
C. drive shafts have EXPLODED on dynos and arn't safe at high speeds.
D. YOU DON'T NEED TO BE GOING MORE than 20-25mph over the posted speed limit.(I speek from experience and will never do that **** on a public road again.)

You don't want to be another statistic or be behind jail. By even asking this question your are already letting me know that you don't know how to control your car and shouldn't be street racing.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 AM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

not sure if they will explode, but ive heard of tires shredding after extended driving over there raiting.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 AM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

Woa there!!! I saidI was new here,I didnt sayI was new to driving. It was a question of tire safety, not a question of road laws. I hardly ever excede the speed limit. However,I was planning on seeing what the car could do.My friendowns a race company so her family has all these cool hookups soI will be able to test it at their track. I just wanted to know ifI should replace the tires beforehand or if they are fine as is.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

You could get the numbers off a tire and look it up at one of the tire sales companies online.
Look for the speed rating specification.
My stock tires 17X8,PIRELLI P ZERO NERO P235/55 ZR17's and are rated up to 168 MPH.
I've had her upto 130+few times by now. No tire problems whatsoever.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 AM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

thanks wolfey i will probably replace them just in case. But you have to let me know when you get to 168 mphbecause that means you are almost 3 times as fast as a cheetah and that is just plain incredible.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:14 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...ebrand=Pirelli

Go ahead my friend ;-). But you'll be throwing away good money IMO if you have the same stock tires I do.
Check the link above for the speed rating of your tires.
Speed ratings are shown as letters. In my case the speed rating is W. That's 168 MPH per this chart.
http://www.1010tires.com/speedratings.html

Have fun.
Wolfey2k
Old 04-20-2007, 04:18 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drivingperson

thanks wolfey i will probably replace them just in case. But you have to let me know when you get to 168 mphbecause that means you are almost 3 times as fast as a cheetah and that is just plain incredible.
LOL, now there is a useful statistic.

I've had my stock (w/ Pony Package) 235/55-17 Pirelli's (same as Wolfey) up to about 1.4 cheetahs and they had no problem at all. If you've got those 17" upgraded Pirelli tires, they don't need replacing. They're not a super-spectacular tire in terms of traction, but they are all-season performance tires, so they'll do the job for you even if you get up to some high speeds occassionally. If you're racing with your Mustang a lot though, you might want to get a better traction summer performance tire, just to give you a little more edge in terms of grip on dry road.

I thought the V6 driveshafts liked to explode at about 1.7 cheetahs though. (120 MPH)
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

No the tires wouldn't "explode".. If they did anything they whould shred.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

ok if you do remove the speed limiter and you have an 05 or early 06 your driveshaft will explode, if you are going over the tires rating and attempt to shift lanes or maneuver well start dialing 911 to come save you. i would not recomend removing the speed limit at all. but the only reason to do it is when your get closer to the speed limiter the car slows down so if anything you could remove it or raise it but only if you do not have stock tires. so keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Will my tires EXPLODE???