Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Muffler tip clearance to bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

Default Muffler tip clearance to bumper

I installed single GT Takeoff muffler last night. It sounds great for a single exhaust on a V6. No drone, not too loud, but definitely louder than the stock. I actually think the stock V6 muffler had a deeper tone, but not as loud. Maybe the GT muffler will break-in some.

Anyway, the clearance between the tip and the bumper is a little over 1/4 inch. I think it is enough and I have seen pictures on the forums here where the clearance looks about the same visually as what I have. I drove a couple miles last night after installing and the bumper didnt burn or melt.

I am a bit worried though about damaging the bumper, is a bit over a quarter inch clearance enough ???
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Muffler tip clearance to bumper

1/4' is OK, your in good shape!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:29 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

yeah you should be alright, mine was barley touching the bumber and after a day, the sumbitch burned my bumber a little
Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Mine is at the 1/4" clearance and been that way for
3000 miles and no burn yet. I put a washer under
the rear most muffler mount to space it out even
more than stock. You should be OK DohKay.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

after putting on the GT muffler, I drove about 20 miles in 90degree weather and checked the back bumper , LoL the exhaust tip was not even too hot to touch
Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have also check to see how hot with one of those
IR thermos. After a long drive, its barely 120 degrees.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

The tip on mine is pretty hot too touch. I am sure it could melt the bumper if it was too close or was to touch.

I think the clearance I have is enough, but I might try the washer idea to give it just a little more space.

On my 90 mile round trip commute I started a new tank of gas, and I think according to the gas mileage indicator that it looks like it is getting slightly better mileage. Will run a couple tanks to verify, but I think at least 1 mile per gallon improvement. This is mostly interstate at about 75 or 80 mph.

Also, I am pretty sure it improved the off idle response when letting the clutch out - much smoother it seems. Not really noticing any real difference in power, but I rarely really get on it at all anyway. But everything I have read here says it should be good for 5 to 10 rwhp.

Only complaint I have is that I dont like how the tip sticks out so far, I liked the tip on the stock muffler much better.

I may take the muffler off and take it into a muffler shop and have it cut to same length as the stock tip. Before I do this can anyone verify that the muffler will slip back onto the pipe OK after removing it. In other words I hope that after clamping it down that the pipe has not distorted making it too difficult or impossible to reinstall without having the pipe expanded.

Maybe I will have the driver side muffler tip trimmed as well and have an H-pipe and duals installed.

I think I would need the hangers for the driver side and an H-pipe and let the shop fabricate the rest. Or would I be better off to get JBA or Pypes kit to do this ???
Old 07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

The muffler will go back on okay .I know this because a couple weeks ago I installed the ninosport dual kit ,and after tightening the muffler clamp and thought I was finished I had to make a couple minor adjustments to the way the mufflers were hanging . they slipped of and back on with no problem at all. I kinda like the way the tips stick out on mine . I'm pretty happy with the nino dual conversion kit , you may want to check it out .