Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

can u guys clarify this ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: can u guys clarify this ?

no. i HIGHLY doubt you would ever need to replace your exhuast unless it was damaged or something to that nature. no need to worry about exhaust. like i said earlier, i've taken my stang in twice with all my current mods (except 91 tune). i've even taken my 4banger ranger in with flowmaster exhaust back when it was still under warranty. no dealership has commented yet on my mods.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Ok ill tell you about my run through with the dealership... My car had on the MMR intake that does not require a tune, an MMR tbs,an MRT exhaust, and I had a 93pef tune from brenspeed.

My V6 started to run on 3 cylinders so I had to take her in to get looked at. I left my intake on because it does not require a tune and put the computer back to factory. I took the car to my local dealer because it was right down the street from me and I had to be very easy on the car. I hate the dealership that I took the car too, but I had no choice at the time. About an hour after I left the car there I get a call saying that they wont even look at the car because it has been modded. Now im pissed.

I go down there and they told me that the engine is running lean on both banks and they cant look at a possible cause untill I put all the factory parts back on and take the tbs off. They said I can leave the exhaust on though. So the dealership made me drive my 3 cylinder mustang back home to swap out the parts. After the stock parts were put back on the car still ran like poop.

So to make a long story short, they found that I had a bad coil pack and it was cuttin out half the cylinders. So it had nothing to do with any of the mods I did...and they just caused me more trouble then needed. ******Now the important part: The service guy came up to me after all was said and done and told me that they can tell that the computer had been reflashed and that it was not with any of fords settings. This was after the fact that I reloaded the stock tune. Im guessingthe computer didnt have enough time to lose the history of the brenspeed tune, andI probably should havedisconnected the battery beforeI took the car in. They guy probably knew I had a tuner but let it go this time. I felt lucky because they probably could have pinned me with the bill but it was all free this time.

Since then I have found a better dealership and will never go back to the other one. The point of this story is to show you that no matter what anyone tells you, the dealer has the final say. So just be careful in what you do to your car and what you say to the service people at the dealership.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

NickSezz,
good learning story. also keep in mind that dealerships and shops will always find a way to screw the customer if they see an opportunity. so no matter what you do to your car, mods or no mods, we are always at the mercy of the shops (unless you are a mechanic yourself). so keep modding but also learn as much as you can along the way to decrease the amount of times you get bamboozled by the auto shops.[8D]
Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 PM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

I was told by a guy on another Mustang forum that you always have to disconnect your battery after loading the stock tune back into your computer to clear any signs of you tampering with the tune. If they ask why it has been flashed, just say, "I was washing the engine bay and I always disconnect the battery and cover it." I would imagine you need to keep your engine bay clean to use that excuse.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007Grabber

I was told by a guy on another Mustang forum that you always have to disconnect your battery after loading the stock tune back into your computer to clear any signs of you tampering with the tune. If they ask why it has been flashed, just say, "I was washing the engine bay and I always disconnect the battery and cover it." I would imagine you need to keep your engine bay clean to use that excuse.
good point
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

or in my case, my battery went dead. it really did.