Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil change and JLT CAI questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 AM
ChldsPlay

Default Oil change and JLT CAI questions.

First question: This may sound stupid, but can anyone tell me how to do an oil change on the Mustang? Does the car need raised at all? Where exactly do you drain the oil from. What do I need (besides oil) to change it myself? What are the steps to changing it?

Second question: Got the JLT CAI the other day, plan to install it tomorrow. It came with 4 clamps, but the small picture in the instructions I see 5. I think. How many are there supposed to be?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil change and JLT CAI questions.

ok first off if you havent done it before just get it changed somewhere because there are proper steps you must follow when discarding the used oil. you need a drip pan a funnel it would make it easier to raise it. but all you have to do is locate the cap/nut on the bottom of the oil pan and put a drip pan underneath and remove the nut and just let the oil drain. one it has compelted wait a lil while so it get out then close cap and fill with new oil. but you have to check with your township on how to discard the oil you used.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S1ckStang

ok first off if you havent done it before just get it changed somewhere because there are proper steps you must follow when discarding the used oil. you need a drip pan a funnel it would make it easier to raise it. but all you have to do is locate the cap/nut on the bottom of the oil pan and put a drip pan underneath and remove the nut and just let the oil drain. one it has compelted wait a lil while so it get out then close cap and fill with new oil. but you have to check with your township on how to discard the oil you used.
To add on to this a little. It would also help a lot to get some ramps to drive your car up onto so that you don't have to rely on jacks which can be scary....

Then, try and run your car for a little while (5 minutes or so) so the oil will get a little warm and flow out easier. You can just let it run on the ramps for a while if you so please; however, if you're in the garage, make sure your garage door is open so you die from CO2 poisoning.

Then make sure you have the correct oil filter for your car, you should be able to find the exact oil filter type you need by searching through the book at your local Discount Autoparts, Pep Boys, etc. Then get the oil you prefer; I use 5W 20 synthetic from Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter (I don't remember the exact filter number and I can't go crawling under my car in the clothes I'm in. )

The find the drain plug for your oil pan. Make sure it's not your transmission fluid drain plug...that's a mistake I think people have made; I've never heard of it happening but I think the people who have done it won't just admit it. Make sure you have a drain pan that can hold at least 5 qts (Preferably like 15 qts, that way you don't have to have a maxed out oil container sitting in your garage).

Put the oil container under the drain plug, making sure the used oil will actually land into the container.

Loosen the oil plug, ( I believe you need an 11,12,13 socket; again...can't go under my car right now). Caution! Make sure you don't burn yourself with the oil, sometimes, if you just got done taking your car down to a trip somewhere, it can be very hot.

As soon as it's loose, just drop it onto the container as soon as it is free. Although, if your container doesn't have a little net or something to catch the bolt, don't just drop it in. Unless you enjoy feeling through used oil for a bolt...hot oil. :P

Let it drain out completely, then move the container under the oil filter.

Use an oil filter wrench to loosen the filter. If this is the first time you've changed the oil on your car, you may need some force or jaws to loosen the damn thing. BUT NOT TOO MUCH!

Begin loosening the filter but be careful! If you loosen it incorrectly and rip it in one direction, you'll mess up the threads and then...that's a whole new problem.

As soon as the oil filter is loose, drop it into the oil container and let it drain.

Then replace the plug in the oil pan.

Reinstall your new filter, taking care to put a little oil on the rubber gasket. To me, this is tradition. I'm sure it helps something technically. Make sure you put it on straight! You don't want to mess up the threads. Tighten nicely, you don't want this falling off.

Get out from under your car, open up the oil cap (marke by "5W 20 or 30" and then an oil symbol).

Get a funnel, and fill it up with five quarts.

Get in your car, start it up and make sure your oil pressure gauge is in the correct place.

That's it! You're done! It's actually pretty simple and once you learn how, it'll be second-nature to you. Just check it over the next few days when you have time, just to make sure nothing is leaking.

Good luck!

I don't know about the CAI.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Here's more good info about changing your own oil (it's for a GT, but the info still applies)

TacoBill's How-To Change Your Oil
Old 07-14-2007, 10:40 AM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

i have also found, that a well placed piece of cardboard under the filter lets the oil drain into the pan rather than all over the crossmember.

change oil every day, you learn little things like that....
Old 07-14-2007, 10:40 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Like Taco Bill points out in his post,you should not over tighten the filter. This is important. Hand tighten only. Give it a goodhard twist, you don't want it loose,but you really don't need tools.If you must use the wrench, take it easy.