Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My car is hesitating on me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default My car is hesitating on me!

This first occurred last week, and I thought it might be a one-off thing but it happened again twice today. Last week I slowed down at a yield that put me on one road from another. I didn't stop, just slowed down at the yield and then stepped on it. I didn't quite floor it, but I gave it a strong push. When I did, the car picked up and then just stalled... hesitated after it picked up and then picked up again. It scared me. I thought I blew the transmission or something before it picked back up. Then today, well, this pretty much happened again in the very same fashion. I was turning from a stop onto aheavy traffic access road and I had to floor it to get out of the way of incoming traffic. Just after I did, it hesitated... a sharp tug back and then it took off as I'd wanted it to about 1 second later. Then it did it again when I turned onto a road on the way home. It seems it only does it when I'm going pretty slow and then try to pick up real quick. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I never had this problem before in the two years I've had my car.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My car is hesitating on me!

mine is automatic, and i think mine does that too. it happens sometimes though.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Mine's automatic, too. I never used to have this problem before, though. Of course I pick up on it a bit more than I used to since I got the MRT. =P
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

my car does this also. It even take a couple of seconds to shift into gear. I was so scared, it was like my motor was sufficating.....Can anybody elaborate this issue?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
los2007
1st Gear Member

this happend to my car also like i thought the transmisson was slipn or somthing but it just does that i guess u have to get used to it
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 AM
05madmax

yeah its totally normal especially once you mod the exhaust. the main reason that i have understood is that what goes it must come out. but if you have more coming out than going in then it tries to get that backpressure to give it that umph.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

wierd i got better throttle response from my axleback
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Sublimey
1st Gear Member

I have an automatic too and used to have a real problem with hesitation. This was pretty much eliminated with a custom tune. A Good tune completely changes the performance of the car.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05madmax

yeah its totally normal especially once you mod the exhaust. the main reason that i have understood is that what goes it must come out. but if you have more coming out than going in then it tries to get that backpressure to give it that umph.
Interesting. So then would it be best for me NOT to take the car into the dealer for a checkup?

Could a CAI and perhaps a throttle spacer help this problem? I mean, if more air is coming out than going in then how do our carsthat haveduals work?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
imnutz66
1st Gear Member

I had a similar issue with my 05, took it in for a check and I foud out it wouldn't hold fuel pressure, so they replaced the fuel pump under warranty, haven't had a problem since - there is a TSB out on the fuel pump

Quick Reply: My car is hesitating on me!