Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why do we hide our plates in pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Default Why do we hide our plates in pictures?

What is the danger of showing your car's plates in pictures. I posted a picture in which my plate was readable and my wife told me to change the picture. What could some one on the Mustang Forum do with your plate number that a person walking down the street and writing down your plate numberdo? Just wondering because I have seen a few pictures with the plate visable.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why do we hide our plates in pictures?

It's a privacy thing. Similar to not writing your S.S.# on your forehead.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It's just a precaution... you are right.. anyone down the street can do the same thing with your plate number. I suppose one thing people would worry about is if they **** someone off here or somewhere else on the internet and are afraid to leave a path to them. Despite the relative anonymity of the internet.. if you have a pick of your car with your plates visible, it would take about 20 minutes to get your address.

I'm not too worried myself.. but I still blur it occasionally... even though I have some pics without it blurred.

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

What is the danger of showing your car's plates in pictures. I posted a picture in which my plate was readable and my wife told me to change the picture. What could some one on the Mustang Forum do with your plate number that a person walking down the street and writing down your plate number do? Just wondering because I have seen a few pictures with the plate visable.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

It's a privacy thing. Similar to not writing your S.S.# on your forehead.
That's true but I do not have my SSA # on my car like I do my plate. It is probably better to be safe than sorry. Last week there was an article about a guy who tracked down some one who he had had an argument with on a forum and burned his trailor down.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I was just wondering. It is better to be safe than sorry!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, you're not interacting or communicating with people on the street or drivers on the road the way you do on the forums (at least i dont think you are), so the chances of negative intentions are less than on a forum where an opinion or comment could tick someone off to the point of where they want to find a way to ruin you. there has already been some deep arguments and name calling on some threads here so it wouldn't surprise me if someone took it too personal and tried to do something. basically, just a precaution that doesn't gaurantee anything but at least lowers the chances.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

yeah, you're not interacting or communicating with people on the street or drivers on the road the way you do on the forums (at least i dont think you are), so the chances of negative intentions are less than on a forum where an opinion or comment could tick someone off to the point of where they want to find a way to ruin you. there has already been some deep arguments and name calling on some threads here so it wouldn't surprise me if someone took it too personal and tried to do something. basically, just a precaution that doesn't gaurantee anything but at least lowers the chances.
JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BY THAT??????? Just Kidding. Lol.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

haha....[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I don't quite understand the over precautions myself, then again i'm not really an ******* that picks e-fights either...lol
Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pantera72

I don't quite understand the over precautions myself, then again i'm not really an ******* that picks e-fights either...lol
Your car looks really cool! And, we are not going to fight over that! Lol.

Quick Reply: Why do we hide our plates in pictures?