Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?'s about dual axelbacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default ?'s about dual axelbacks

I am going to go dual exhaust either before or after I get a charger in February. Probably Flowmaster AT's($285) with an H pipe($?). here are my ?'s:
1.If I buy an h-pipe for a GToff line, will it fit my 6?
2. How much do shops usually charge for custom H-Pipe's?
3. I here install for the whole system will probably run $125-$200 right?
4. About how many miles does it take for an axelbacks exhaust sound to really break in?
5. How much louder are duals over a single axelback?
Thanx ahead of time!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:45 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ?'s about dual axelbacks

Personally, I would not go with the GT pipes. You are going to spend as much money as you would buying pre-made pipes, and doing custom fabbing is always a pain and can lead to who knows what. Check out www.v6mustangstuff.com for pipes, they have a good selection of premade H-pipes and over-axle pipes for our cars for a pretty good price.

Axel backs usually take quite a long time to break in from my experience. Usually a few months. Duals are not too much louder than the single. I went from a JBA single to JBA true duals, and the difference if volume is negligible, but the tone is much meaner. Also, I would not go with the AT's. They are known to make a pretty hard left turn in their tone after a good bit of use. That is why you see so many used ones for sale for so cheap. If you want a nice mellow yet mean sound, I really recommend the JBAs. They also do not drone at all. Corsas sound REALLY good too, but they are quite expensive. I may ditch the JBAs in the near future for the Corsas, so shoot me a PM if you want them.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Good ideas on the cat-back there, didn't remember v6mustangstuff had ones for us. ?'s:
1. how long does it take true duals to break-in sound wise?
2. Do I need to buy a mid-pipe for the true duals?
3. I like the JBA, so the tone is a bit deeper than the single, so that should make me happy right(any clips)?
4. How many miles do u have on ur true-duals and whole system, if u r selling them(u could PM me a price and info or just post)?
5. How much would it run for the install?
6. How much hp do u think I will gain with them on my set-up now? Ona vortech set-up?
Thanx for all the help and if I could get ur JBA's at a good cheap price, I may beaskfor an advance in my paycheck and buy these now!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the timeframe for axelback breaking in. I bought a JBA as soon as I bought the car and had it installed the first week of driving it (that OEM muffler was total crud!). It was definitely a few months down the road before it sounded like I thought it would. I was worried at first because it just seemed blaring right after installation but now it's a nice mellow purr with a bit of growl. Not as nice as it would be with duals but I'm happy with it and there's other mods I want to put my money into before changing the exhaust any more.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help. Already found out some info. So, does anyone know how much hp I could get out of duals w/ an h or x pipe on my current set-up(CAI,Tune,Aluminum DS)? And what gains do u think I could see if I had a 10psi vortech? ANY info is greatly appreciated.
Thanx ahead of time.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

You are not going to see gains on an N/A application, you may even see a loss in torque. You will see gains on the Vortech, do a search for something like "True Duals Performance Facts" ...something like that. It was a post I made a few weeks ago on my pre and post duals.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

Hey man...............I got a GT H hipe and dual flows american thunder............they sound very good........look around and you can find an h pipe and midpipes pretty cheap.......any questions send me a pm.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help, already found a GT take off used for $70 and $20 for used over axel pipes. I'm gonna order JBA shorty headers(I think $350)with in the next month and am not sure yet if I will have to buy new JBA mufflers off ebay for $320 or get used JBA mufflers off chrisc if he's gonna sell them for $80 cheaper. Exhaust is gonna be nice and I'll probably have it installed by the end of October or Early November. I'll update when everythingsdone either on this thread or a newone. Thanx again!