Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI without tune?

I have a K&N Aircharger installed ... and just recieved an SCT 3 and custom tunes for it... haven't installed yet to try it out ... According to K&N the CAI is worth 7 HP on its own ... so the tune should help out even more. K&N is one of the few companies that do not required a tune. Also ... unless you really want the polished metal tube on the Typhoon ... K&N actually shows the plastic AirCharger making more HP ...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I understand the concept, but I still do not seehow putting a bigger MAF on will increase performance? I mean, the throttle body isn't gettin any bigger so how can it let more air in? AllI cansee it doing is messing up the stock settings for the mass air sensor. The tune is needed to recalibrate it to work rightagain. So why not just use the stock size MAF with a tune (thats what I have). I would like to see a dyno of 2 intakes, one with the stock size MAF, and one with a larger one. Tune the cars equally and run the numbers. Now, is there an acual setting for the size of the the MAF while tuning? If so, then maybe I can understand this better. I thought after tuning, it did not matter what the size was because the tuner puts in his own air/fuel ratio settings and timing for the car. Without bashing me, can someone shine some more light on this?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

I understand the concept, but I still do not seehow putting a bigger MAF on will increase performance? I mean, the throttle body isn't gettin any bigger so how can it let more air in? AllI cansee it doing is messing up the stock settings for the mass air sensor. The tune is needed to recalibrate it to work rightagain. So why not just use the stock size MAF with a tune (thats what I have). I would like to see a dyno of 2 intakes, one with the stock size MAF, and one with a larger one. Tune the cars equally and run the numbers. Now, is there an acual setting for the size of the the MAF while tuning? If so, then maybe I can understand this better. I thought after tuning, it did not matter what the size was because the tuner puts in his own air/fuel ratio settings and timing for the car. Without bashing be can someone shine some more light on this?
you have some very good points and this is how i thought of it also awhile back. However, my current thought is with a bigger MAF housing (along with larger tube), a greater VOLUME of air will reach the throttle body opening at the same rate as the smaller stock size housing considering they have the same style filter. i understand that the throttle body size stays stock but with more air readily available INSIDE the tube, the TB opening should be able to suck in more air faster. of course this only makes sense with a tube no smaller than the rubber factory tube. Please note...this is just MY THEORY about the whole thing and is not fact. i too would like to know the specific facts because even justin at VMP recommends a MAF housing no smaller than 3", which is bigger than stock, for the best performance and potential. anybody please correct me if i'm wrong about my "educational theory"....[8D]
Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

haha.....guess my "educational theory" is solid.[8D]
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

I have a S&B CAI and does not require a tune. You can buy off their website, sbfilters.com or from authorized distributor. I liked what I read about their CAI quality....etc. Mine makes a nice roar when I tromp on it. If you read MM&FF magazine, October 2006, they tested 3 CAI's on a stock GT, with auto trans. Result: .02 sec faster in the Qtr in a V-8. Bottom line on the article is, save your money if you think is going to make it faster. I get about 2mpg better with my CAI. Just turned 47,000 miles, w auto trans and gets 30mpg to and from work every day w/o AC in the summer. Got as high as 32mpg with wind behind me. Paid $200.00 for my CAI and will take about 3 years payback on mpg savings. My 2 cents.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teetertotter

I have a S&B CAI and does not require a tune. You can buy off their website, sbfilters.com or from authorized distributor. I liked what I read about their CAI quality....etc. Mine makes a nice roar when I tromp on it. If you read MM&FF magazine, October 2006, they tested 3 CAI's on a stock GT, with auto trans. Result: .02 sec faster in the Qtr in a V-8. Bottom line on the article is, save your money if you think is going to make it faster. I get about 2mpg better with my CAI. Just turned 47,000 miles, w auto trans and gets 30mpg to and from work every day w/o AC in the summer. Got as high as 32mpg with wind behind me. Paid $200.00 for my CAI and will take about 3 years payback on mpg savings. My 2 cents.
so what are you really trying to say?.........hehe..jk....i like s&b. i'm sporting their powerstack filter on my AEM intake tube. MUCH better throttle response than the dryflow filter that came with it.