Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To dual or not to dual..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: To dual or not to dual..

ORIGINAL: petestang

Thanks all. I should also mention that sometime in the future I will be adding a CAI, prefferebly with a tune. I just don't know when, as I am getting married in May..I would think that duals would be better for a CAI, yes?
Makes it breathe better at BOTH ends!

And depending on which part of the country you're from... Duals might even be concidered a nice wedding present!

Just kidding!

Congratulations and best wishes for next May! Post a photo of your pony with the cans tied to it!! (Might need to use 150 lb test nylonline)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Just installed the single GT takeoff and love it. I have the drivers side muffler am was thinking the same, Dual or No Dual question.

Do you have to buy the kits or just take to the shop? Will they KNOW what is needed, x pipe + hangers or is it nuch more labor wise for the shop to the x pipe, etc?? Also, I have heardX and H, is it just preference or is one better than the other for the V6 conversion?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ndnboy

Just installed the single GT takeoff and love it. I have the drivers side muffler am was thinking the same, Dual or No Dual question.

Do you have to buy the kits or just take to the shop? Will they KNOW what is needed, x pipe + hangers or is it nuch more labor wise for the shop to the x pipe, etc?? Also, I have heardX and H, is it just preference or is one better than the other for the V6 conversion?
Just did another Mustang cruise Sunday:
http://www.putfile.com/sohcman/images/148349

There were four V6 stangs there... only one had single exhaust... and liked it.

By the end of the cruise he had changed his mind, he's going duals too.

Much more impressive in person.

As for the "muffler shops", they are bozos...

Buy your "kit" (X pipe is what I have & what FORD uses) and have your Ford dealer install it.

http://media.putfile.com/Start-of-09-23-20...et--Camera-Flip

My car and the red vertare V6s.

I kept flipping my camera off the sticky pad on the dashboard when I accellerated... pretty funny actually.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I like that red 'vert there....that's sure one sweet looking ride

Duals are definitely the way to go imho. They give you some real benefit as you mod the car, and even if you leave it bone stock (except for the duals), they sound better, and they sure as heck look better. (A 'stang without duals just doesn't look "right" to me. A set of duals with some nice looking chrome or polished tips is always going to be more attractive than a single pipe.

My setup has a Pypes X-pipe feeding a pair of Corsas (which I love). I previously ran a pair of GT takeoffs, and I can certainly recommend that as a great low buck way to get better sound and looks.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
JimC

ORIGINAL: ndnboy

You will need the mid pipe for the driver side - either in a kit or from your friendly Ford dealer parts department. Many shops have not been able to bend it properly from what I hear, so the Ford part is the easiest and most assured method of a correct fit. You will also need the driver side hangers (you can get them from sponsors on this site like Pypes or V6 Mustang Stuff). I used a Ford FRPP X pipe, and you can buy those off Ebay easily (may also be able to pick up the mid pipes, they show up sometimes). The shop may be able to fab up an H pipe, don't know about an X - a lot of different opinions about whether you should have an X or H pipe to connect the mid pipes to where you cut the Y pipe (lots of initials)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC
You will need the mid pipe for the driver side - either in a kit or from your friendly Ford dealer parts department. Many shops have not been able to bend it properly from what I hear, so the Ford part is the easiest and most assured method of a correct fit.
+1000 on this. Using the genuine Ford drivers side pipe is the most assured way to get a proper fit. I have had three aftermarket midpipes on my car at one point or another (MAC, Walker and Pypes) ALL had issues of one sort or another. The Pypes had to be exchanged because it was mis-bent, but even a correctly bent Pypes midpipe doesn't have as high an arch over the axle as a stock pipe (probably intentional to smooth out flow). My car is lowered and the axle would slap the Pypes midpipe over bumps. Going to a factory pipe cured that.

My recommendation for an exhaust system shopping listwould be as follows:

Pypes X-Pipe (it's available separately)
Existing passenger side midpipe
Genuine Ford driver's side midpipe for a GT
Whatever mufflers you decide
2Ford or Pypes exhaust hangers
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM
petestang

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

Thanks all. I should also mention that sometime in the future I will be adding a CAI, prefferebly with a tune. I just don't know when, as I am getting married in May..I would think that duals would be better for a CAI, yes?
Makes it breathe better at BOTH ends!

And depending on which part of the country you're from... Duals might even be concidered a nice wedding present!

Just kidding!

Congratulations and best wishes for next May! Post a photo of your pony with the cans tied to it!! (Might need to use 150 lb test nylonline)
Thanks.

Are these themidpipes...? I hope so..I can save on shipping, lol.

http://www.teamfordparts.com/partloc...layCatalogid=0

Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

It would help....The more the car breathes in the faster you want it to breathe out and this will help achieve it. Go for the duals you will not regret it.....

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Thanks.

Are these themidpipes...? I hope so..I can save on shipping, lol.

http://www.teamfordparts.com/partloc...layCatalogid=0

Yes, those are midpipes.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

My recommendation for an exhaust system shopping listwould be as follows:

Pypes X-Pipe (it's available separately)
Existing passenger side midpipe
Genuine Ford driver's side midpipe for a GT
Whatever mufflers you decide
2Ford or Pypes exhaust hangers
Can you give a breakdown on the price for this setup? The Pypes kit that includes the "X" pipe and both mid-pipes and the hangers is on sale for $275. How does that compare to your recommendation? I am trying to make up my mind on which way to go.