Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My local muffler/exhaust shop sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Default My local muffler/exhaust shop sucks!

They told me that they don't do header installs because they don't want to deal with customers
if they begin to leak. And then they tell me that they won't weld in cut outs.

I left asking my self... what exactly do you DO?

Any suggestions where to get cut outs put in? Will Meineke install cut outs?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My local muffler/exhaust shop sucks!

If this is a basic muffler shop that does exhaust work, oil changes, tire rotation---basic stuff, then I'm not really surprised by that answer. Those places usually don't want to dive into anything that's drastically different. So unless they're cutting off a rusty old muffler off of an '88 Ford Tempo and slapping on some generic looking new muffler, they usually don't want to do it.

They have a point though. If a customer brought in some poorly manufactured aftermarket part, and it rattled, then most people blame the installer and not the part itself. When they deny that it's their workmanship, then we see another "this exhaust shop sucks" post! haha..

I'd suggest going to an actual performance shop, or scroll down the yellow pages and just call every exhaust shop and ask. When I put on duals, about 75% of the shops I called wouldn't even fabricate an h or x pipe! Sorry I can't tell you exactly who to call... but I'd check out the phone book and go from there..
Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Not too sure about meineke, but with the headers don't you have to retighten the bolts after the first few runs when engine is cold so they don't leak ?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I guess that is true. Just my frustration coming out! But still, even as far as asking about an H pipe a few months back, I got some explanation about how they wouldn't fabricate one for me. (Thanks JBA!)

Guess I'll continue my quest tommorow for a place to install!

However my headers get installed, I'll give the bolts a recheck every so often.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Smgfan1224
1st Gear Member

when i had my hyundai(dont ask) i went to putan exhaust on it. I went to a really highly recommeded muffler shop. After shooting the **** with the service writer, i asked him about headers. he said that they do not do headers since they do not want to mess with relocated othe 2nd o2 senser. Whether it makes senses or not.. oh well.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

When I first thought about going duals, I called around to the local muffler shops and they told me it couldn't be done.
Then I called a Ford dealer and they recommended a shop that dealt with their conversions. I didn't take to that shop because they wanted me to leave my Mustang out in their very close spaced parking lot for 3 DAYS.....I said NOT!
I ended up taking it to a Transmission shop that builds Ford Racing cars. It was the first time they have ever done that kind of conversion, but so far no rattles or drones......looking for wood to knock on!