Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

True Dual Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Big Lar

Default True Dual Question

I read somewhere a while back that a V6 engine does not benefit from either a H-pipe or X-pipe setup. The preferred "breathing" exhaust for a V6 is straight back duals without any form of crossover. The theory being that H or X pipes benefit V8 engines only because of the nature of their firing order and configuration. Only one side of the exhaust system is pressurized at a time so the purpose of the H or X pipe is to relive some of the pressure and transfer it to the opposite pipe which is unpressuized. Because the V6 doesn't opperate the same the H or X pipe actually hurts perfromance because it relives too much of the back pressure.

I realize that Ford and others make after market kits with a H or X pipe but I wonder if that more of a marketing ploy to sell them because it's the latest trend in exhaust. Do anyone have dyno results or other conclusive data that suggests that one configuration is superior to the others? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
UMTerp2010
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: True Dual Question

i was told that with straight back pipes on our v6's we lose hp and torque
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Straight pipes we lose a **** load of torque and low end power. U need and X or H pipe to fix the loss of backpressure when going duals or u will be as slow as sheet going off the line and lose power but maybe gain a little in sound volume. X and Hhave no power difference unless urgoing turbo or supercharger. Xgives more power than. I'm getting my exhaust done(I hope it's done today)with anH piperight now for sound preferences.Check em out and choose what u like.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Although a V6 and a V8 have different firing orders, neither one of them " pressurize " 1 side at a time as you say. Whoever you received your information from is completely wrong here. Some will argue whether X or H is better but it is proven on a V6 that either a X or a H is better than straights.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

what you lose in low end you might gain in the high end. thats the theory anyway. the only way straight might do any good would be from a higher volume of exhaust due to something like F/I for example.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Big Lar

I know that all V8 engines are "unbalanced" in the sense that only two cylinders are firing at a time in one the two banks of cylinders. This is due to the 90 degree configuration of the cylinders in the block and firing order. Thisresults inonly one side of the dual exhaust to be pressurized at a time (for only a slight moment). The H-pipe crossover came about as a remedy for this problem by allowing the excess gases to pass-over or crossover to the opposite exhaust pipe. This is exactly why my 1966 GT has the H-pipe arrangement.

I not sure of the significance of the H or X pipe on the V6 because from what I understand you don't get the same exhaust effect in the V6 like the V8. I have a supercharger on my V6 so maybe it will benefit from a H or X crossover pipe. I need to get theY-pipe setup off of the car. I remembers reading about the benefit of a true dual without the crossover but can't remember where I saw it! Thanks for the inputs!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

If ur f/i than defintily u need that x or h to keep low end power. With f/i ur making a sheet load of power at redline, get some gears and a t-lok too to help low end if u don't have them and have some money to spend. Good luck!