Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is it worth tuning WITHOUT adding cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it worth tuning WITHOUT adding cold air intake?

A good CAI will block as much or more particulates, but they have a much greater surface area allowing them to pass more air through.

They are more efficient.

ORIGINAL: tientran

I think that stock filters can block very tiny dust particles and CAI filters let them go through. Maybe I am wrong. I just think that and I have no experience about it.
ORIGINAL: hataap

i think if you have an auto you should definitely get a tune regardless of whether you are getting a CAI or not. A tune will add a noticeable difference in performance as well as throttle response.
That is all I need for my daily drive. That is why I order TUNE without CAI. Moreover, maybe I am wrong, I think that stock filter is more effective than re-usedable filter that goes with CAI.
more effective in what sense?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I think that stock filters can block very tiny dust particles and CAI filters let them go through. Maybe I am wrong. I just think that and I have no experience about it.

i think if you have an auto you should definitely get a tune regardless of whether you are getting a CAI or not. A tune will add a noticeable difference in performance as well as throttle response.
That is all I need for my daily drive. That is why I order TUNE without CAI. Moreover, maybe I am wrong, I think that stock filter is more effective than re-usedable filter that goes with CAI.
more effective in what sense?

For particles as small as an O2 molecule, yes but dirt is bigger than that. Plus, the oiled air filter attractes particles like a magnet.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

get a drop-in with your tune. even if there is no performance difference vs. stock filter, you're saving money in the long run with replacements. its still a fact the drop-in flows better whether you notice it or not. its good for peace of mind. the only tuned vehicle in my family is my stang but we all at the least have k&n drop-ins. forget performance.....they are just better quality and lifetime lasting. JMO.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Heck yes. Get the K&N drop in and remove that little rubber reducing boot on your filter box.
IMO, all that air from the CAIstill goes into the same size throttle body.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

get a drop-in with your tune. even if there is no performance difference vs. stock filter, you're saving money in the long run with replacements. its still a fact the drop-in flows better whether you notice it or not. its good for peace of mind. the only tuned vehicle in my family is my stang but we all at the least have k&n drop-ins. forget performance.....they are just better quality and lifetime lasting. JMO.
+1

I forgot to mention that. Definitely get a drop-in. I had one before I got my intake and was really satisfied with it. You will not only be able to save money by never having to replace the filter, but you will also notice a slight increase in gas mileage (well at least I did). After adding the drop-in I consistently got +1 mpg...good luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

Nevermind