Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

Yep.

Best times listed for those mentioned,oh and nav to be fair

Navbtscret 2006 Mustang Coupe X-S/C 282.0 1.780 8.270@80.51 13.038@103.95

Scrmin 05 Mustang V6 Coupe S/C 313.0 1.866 8.475@89.46 12.845@107.12

hamidlmt 2005 4.0L Mustang S/C 317.4 2.099 8.612@83.26 13.383@102.84
John was running an open off road exhaust system (which he later made legal), race gas and leaning on the car a tad on the 12.8 runs. Nav and Hamid's cars both went those et's on pump gas, and emission legal setups.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

all autos too as I remember?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

ok...I didn't think that this would be the result of the post and it is why I haven't written again.

First of all, I didn't ask which one is better, just the pros and cons of each and personal experiences.

Since some of you have given me some honest answers, I'll give out my opinion

To those who have installed the centri, how hard was the install? I helped a friend installing his vortech on a 02 GT and I didnt think it was so difficult as some might put it. Is it time consuming? Yes it was. But I dont think it wouldnt be that much harder than a x charger.

What is it in the proccess of installing each s/c? What has to be done to our 4.0 motors?

Also, the reliability issue. I understand the roots has great reliability since mass production speaks for itself.

What else, I guess thats it!!! All the other BS you can keep it!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joeymustang

ok...I didn't think that this would be the result of the post and it is why I haven't written again.

First of all, I didn't ask which one is better, just the pros and cons of each and personal experiences.

Since some of you have given me some honest answers, I'll give out my opinion

To those who have installed the centri, how hard was the install? I helped a friend installing his vortech on a 02 GT and I didnt think it was so difficult as some might put it. Is it time consuming? Yes it was. But I dont think it wouldnt be that much harder than a x charger.

What is it in the proccess of installing each s/c? What has to be done to our 4.0 motors?

Also, the reliability issue. I understand the roots has great reliability since mass production speaks for itself.

What else, I guess thats it!!! All the other BS you can keep it!
Keep in mind this is just from reading but the estimated time in the Vortech s/c guide I read trying to pass time said to expect 14-18 hours install time. There is also the issue of drilling the oil pan. If you have previous experience installing a centri s/c the install should be real similar.

If you go to Explorer Express their install guide is online too. Supposedly it only takes about 7-8 hours. There is no drilling and no running piping under the hood but you have to splice several wires to extend them from reorganizing stuff under the hood.

As far as the motors go, unless you're planning on adding a whole bunch of nitrous you really don't have to do anything to them. With any forced induction on our 4.0 it's suggested that you swap driveshafts and if you're looking for more than 350rwhp with a centri you may want to consider swapping the rear axle out for an 8.8" but there are x and centri users both still using all the stock parts.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:02 AM
zid3
2nd Gear Member

what are your goals is wat u should be looking at that what it really all depends on, like todd put it before n a bunch of others, i mean i fu just want a little giddy up when ur crusining around go for the x but if u want straight u cant touch me power the forget about a suppercharger go turbo, and a centri is right between that everything has there pros and cons, i'm goning x in my car personely, cuz i dont care about that high 12 runs, if i wanted to go fast ill hope in my 9.7 nova and leve u standing still, my stang is a dd and a car i show off, thats my goal, but lets not get off topic,
let break it down a bit

Ease of install: X
Power: Centi
Price w/o install: centri
Price w/: x(if done ur self even if u didnt it would be much cheaper)
Realibilty: depends on how u drive, but under the same NORMAL(not going wot all the damn time) the x has a slight edge
Best System: what ever fits your budget and make you happy

that my 2 cents, i like both the vortech and x,
but a turbo has my heart=) (cough todd 10.9 cough) if i was going raw power but not u got the forced4 turbo out there that preety kick a$$ for a good price
Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zid3

what are your goals is wat u should be looking at that what it really all depends on, like todd put it before n a bunch of others, i mean i fu just want a little giddy up when ur crusining around go for the x but if u want straight u cant touch me power the forget about a suppercharger go turbo, and a centri is right between that everything has there pros and cons, i'm goning x in my car personely, cuz i dont care about that high 12 runs, if i wanted to go fast ill hope in my 9.7 nova and leve u standing still, my stang is a dd and a car i show off, thats my goal, but lets not get off topic,
let break it down a bit

Ease of install: X
Power: Centi
Price w/o install: centri
Price w/: x(if done ur self even if u didnt it would be much cheaper)
Realibilty: depends on how u drive, but under the same NORMAL(not going wot all the damn time) the x has a slight edge
Best System: what ever fits your budget and make you happy

that my 2 cents, i like both the vortech and x,
but a turbo has my heart=) (cough todd 10.9 cough) if i was going raw power but not u got the forced4 turbo out there that preety kick a$$ for a good price
I am like you, I just want more kick out of my DD, but for track racing i have my 5.0.

My goals on the car? there arent any. I did 15.6 stock and was happy with it. I dont plan on drag racing the car or track. Maybe once or twice but not continuously. That is why I cant decide on which because I honestly like both platforms, I like getting my hands greasy working on my cars so the labor of install aint an issue.

BTW....what is that turbo system you talking about? [8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

There are two turbos out for the 4.0 (STS is the 3rd and now has a test mule), the Forced4 Twister (which is currently not available due to supplier issues) and the Powerhouse Turbo kit. I have the powerhouse kit on my car, very happy with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Scrmin 05 Mustang V6 Coupe S/C 313.0 1.866 8.475@89.46 12.845@107.12

Just wondering, does anyone have a mods list or link for his mods list at the time? I can't find one.I am really curious to know what he was running when he got this time. Thanks ahead!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Its been awhile, but if I remember correctly, he was running the following:

-Vortech @ 12psi
-DR's
-LCA's
-UCA
-3in exhaust , no cats, aero turbine muffler
-3.73's w/Tlok
-Turbo Blue Race Gas/Race tune from Lideo
-Drag Shocks

Not sure what else, its been quite a bit since that run.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the help!

Quick Reply: s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal