Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Washing your Engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
ZerofluxCal
1st Gear Member

Default Washing your Engine.....

how important is it that you cover your battery, air intake and fuse box? I know the owners manual says so...but what if you were to just kinda spray around those areas????

I am talking about using a power washer at a local car wash.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Washing your Engine.....

i washed mine using a regular garden hose with spray fixture and some engine brite (not engine gunk). Both times I have lightly misted and sprayed where necessary, but just use common sense to avoid the troublesome spots, like the fuse box, alternator, air filter... you know...
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I used my garden hose on the "fan" setting or whatever it is (you know, sprays like an upside down triangle with moderate pressure) and didn't cover anything, and didn't worry about it, and had no problems.

Don't purposely spray water into stuff, or hold the water spraying where it will likely get into the fuse box or air filter or anything like that, but beyond that I paid absolutely no attention to how much water was getting where, and everything was fine.

I also waited to wash the engine until I was home for the night, so it had a while to dry off, I don't know if that would make any difference. But really, your engine gets water and stuff all over it when you drive in the rain anyway, so it probably shouldn't be an issue. Just don't try to purposely flood anything and you'll be fine.

I didn't use any engine cleaner, just sprayed it, used a brand new paint brush to loosen up the dirt and clean stuff off, and then rinsed it all clean. Came out mezzo-mezzo.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

danbevsv6rumbler sweet looking car dude, I especialy like the side scoops whoever did the color matched it perfectly, great car.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Cabbage! I just got myself a new set of rims so hopefully I'll be throwing a new sig up soon!

the previous owner of my car had all the scoops/spoilers painted and put on the car - however I guess he realized that he forgot to clear-coat the hood scoop, so naturally it's fading and I've got to take that off to redo it. I liked the look he had going though, which is why I've kept most of it.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i would cover the parts noted in the manual. better safe than sorry. i used plastic grocery bags when i cleaned my truck's engine. haven't cleaned my stang's engine yet. its really not greasy, just dusty. i used simple green by the way. worked much better than expected for being environmentally friendly.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

havent washed mine yet either... 14500 miles, but not one has been driven in snow or rain, so it stays clean with the occasional damp cloth wipe down, like 2 times a year.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Knoxviller/t

DO NOT SPRAY WHILE ENGINE IS HOT!!!!

Other then that from the engine being cold:
1. Start engine and let it run for about 5 minutes. This is just to get it warm not hot.
2. Wet down Engine and then cover engine in Simple Green. This is the best stuff yet that I have used.
3. Let this sit for about 2-3 minutes. Maybe shorter on the stock intake pipe, as I have seen some turn a greenish color before.
4. Spray off everything.
5. If you want that showroom shine, take some Armor All(sp) and spray the engine down while still wet. Try toadvoid the belts as this may cause them to squeak.
6. Shut hood and turn on engine. Let it run for about 10 mins(or until it gets to normal temp.) This will cause the water to evaporate and the Armor All(sp) to dry.
7. Open hood and Admire the SHINE!!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

To the OP, cover those items highlighted in the owner's manual. I failed to do this once on a 2004 Buick Century and I started it afterwards to help dry it off with the engine heat and the dash warning lightsand radio lights lit up like a christmas tree and stayed on for a while. No long term damage was done but it freaked me big time.