Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Swap?

ORIGINAL: Rhino77

ORIGINAL: nickb2236

I've been thinking that I want to start building a big block to swap with the v6 in my 08. It's somthing that would take a few years since my "garage" is a shed and I have very little time. Does anybody have any idea what kind of engine I could put in the stang. I would more than likely get a old engine from my dads work. He has alot of v8's out of older trucks and stuff laying around.
Dude forget the v8, if you're gonna swap the engine get a custom 460 crate engine!! That's what I plan on doin' in 5 years or so.

check this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKvrfyULhU
umm. dude thats what he's doing. did you read his post? he's building a big block. derr.

and FYI the 460 is a V8.

and everything is possible. with the right tools (or the right amount of money). if you think you can do it go for it. you might wanna check a tranny rebuild though if youre a manual...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Exactly what was said...it's more exciting to do this to a V6. Make a super car out of it

Yes, the GT has better "this" and better "that" no doubt. BUTTTTT....if you're gonna build a faster car, you'd want to replace all that with better brakes, sway bars, suspension, and maybe even a Ford 9 [sm=drooldude.gif] Gotta get me one of those! What an exciting project though! I want to swap my motor for a V8 when my miles are too high YES!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

ya, ive been tossing this idea around in my head too. I've seen some big blocks and stuff in cjponyparts's catalog i believe theres even a 625....
Old 03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

After an engine swap, you know your no longer a V6 right? And after all the stuff you would do to the car with a crate engine shop, it wouldn't even matter if it was a GT or V6. The only thing that would make you look like a V6 then is the badges, bumpers, wing,(and if you don't have a pony package): the lights and wheels from what I can think of. So it really doesn't matter what body you do it too.

And I always questioned this, but why do this to an almost new car? Geta 5.0 body/carpretty cheap (under $2.5k)and work from there. There transmissions aren't that bad, their frame will hold big engines, and you won't have a computer to mess with so your car functions right like our new cars.Probably a lot cheaper to do that.Just my suggestion.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

And I always questioned this, but why do this to an almost new car? Geta 5.0 body/carpretty cheap (under $2.5k)and work from there. There transmissions aren't that bad, their frame will hold big engines, and you won't have a computer to mess with so your car functions right like our new cars.Probably a lot cheaper to do that.Just my suggestion.
I did the swap for a few different reasons.
Because I can
I like being different
5.4 4v!
Keeping the same body style, which I love. I can see Foxes all day long at the track, but not many modified S197's, and this coming from someone that owns both styles.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

How much did it cost you to put in that 5.4 engine and what did you have to change
Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Alot and everything lol!
ORIGINAL: defiance777

How much did it cost you to put in that 5.4 engine and what did you have to change
Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Like Buckman said, because he can. For some, there's a bit more fun in modding a V6 than there is a GT. I'd personally wouldn't want to do a swap in a Fox body because I don't like that style at all really. I love this body style just as I do the 60s in which it replicates. And a 5.4L in this car...wooooweeee!

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

After an engine swap, you know your no longer a V6 right? And after all the stuff you would do to the car with a crate engine shop, it wouldn't even matter if it was a GT or V6. The only thing that would make you look like a V6 then is the badges, bumpers, wing,(and if you don't have a pony package): the lights and wheels from what I can think of. So it really doesn't matter what body you do it too.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm still looking...

For a wrecked sixer, to do just that.
I won't go 460 though, too heavy.

A 351 stroked to 427 pumping 600 ponnies out of it, is more what I have in mind...
First, got to find the car. In LL.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Like Buckman said, because he can. For some, there's a bit more fun in modding a V6 than there is a GT. I'd personally wouldn't want to do a swap in a Fox body because I don't like that style at all really. I love this body style just as I do the 60s in which it replicates. And a 5.4L in this car...wooooweeee!
Buckman had a blown engine though, he would of needed a rebuild or new engine put in for his car to work right. I can agree with you on the looks and stuff, but it is very costly to do that over an older bodied car engine swap. That's what I wanted to tell you. And no modding the V6 mustangisn't asfun as modding a GT.GT's showbigger gains and SOTP feel from any induction, engine, or exhaust mods compared to the V6. That is one of the reasons why I got a Mustang with aV8 now.And your cars not a V6 anymoreif you drop a crate V8 in it [&:].

Quick Reply: Engine Swap?