Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hey..

I'mALOT older(61)then most of you guys and could have easily bought a GT butI drove the V6 and was very surprised at the power. This car is now faster then a 69 Roadrunner(15.10)I had, the same as a 71 Roadrunner(14.5-6)I had and only 3.5 tenths slower then the 68 440 R/T Charger(14.30)I once owned. Plus I got 27.6 mpg on a recent trip. Here in NY my insurance would have been much more for the GT so I got the V6 and am still very happy with it.The V6 can be alot of car.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

My insurance for the GT isn't that bad. I pay 118 a month for full coverage and $100 deductibles with NO glass deductible. Of course when I go to AZ my premium is going to jump up to 1358 every 6
Old 06-14-2008, 08:56 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

I'm 17-and-three-quarters (fourth time around) and I didn't "settle for" a V6, I chose one. I had resources to choose any Mustang, including the Shelbys and Roushes and Saleens, but what attracted me to the Mustang was its shape, which it seemed to me was purest in the V6 form.

I also had the skills, judgment, and experience to handle high-performance cars, having owned and raced a few on drag strips and road courses. I selected a V6 Mustang because I knew (and still know) that realistic use of a car that performs in that category is all anyone needs, short of the racetrack. "Needs" is not really a Mustang word, anyway: no one needs a Mustang.

The Mustang V6 is more car than is necessary to achieve distinction, fulfillment, and fun performance, and anything beyond its capabilities is possibly one or more of: wasteful, ostentatious, pretentious, or compensatory. If that's what turns your crank, more power to you, to coin a phrase. The only thing that bothers me about the GT folks who denigrate V6ers is that their expressions reveal some basic insecurity with regard to themselves and their vehicles: anyone who is confident in his choices doesn't need to deprecate or discount others' choices. I know the put-down artists are suffering in there behind their smug facades. Poor devils.

There have been about two occasions when I wished my Mustang V6 was a GT: one of them was when I was out with the top down and a GT might have got me home and into the garage a few seconds earlier, so the mist would not have turned into rain a dozen yards before I got there (maybe). I don't remember the other.

The V6 presents a challenge or two that the GT does not: you learn to be serene and unruffled by the "Why didn't you get a V8?" kind of questions, and the "Ohhh ... " reactions when someone discovers your lovely car is "just a 6". The V6 is a character-builder, for certain.

V8 noise is nice, but it is not any better than a 6. Some of the greatest cars in automotive history are sixes: Jaguar, Aston Martin, Ferrari Dino ... the list goes on. Check out my exhaust videos. That is as sweet a sound as any car ever made, by my judgement. (OK, the 1950s Ferrari V-12s were a breed apart)

single GT takeoff road test
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NxfEFETgvIA
single GT takeoff dyno test
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-AazkGcJ43s

FRPP exhaust part 0ne (after the drags)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9uRaR1JlE
FRPP exhaust part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XhoYT0JVTg

Any road, I have massaged my V6 Mustang in pretty much the same ways I would have done to a GT, and the process is very satisfying, even the misteaks. Catching an correcting them is a special kind of pleasure.

I knew at the time I got my V6 Mustang that if it didn't measure up to my expectations or suit my purposes, I could always dump it on some lucky person, and get a GT or a Shelby or a Saleen, or a Roush, or ... you name it. Now it's 18 months later, and I still have it and I am still happy with it. Proves something, doesn't it?

Very resp'y,

Well said.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

im 16 and my insurance is about 800 a year on my sixer

im actually happy to have a v6, gas mileage purposes mostly
Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

alot of young s197 owners! when i was 16-18, i only DREAMED of owning a car, let alone a Mustang.