Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

applying vinyl rally stripes? can i do this myself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
MR305
1st Gear Member

Like a said, it was not an easy job.. now if you find someone to do them for $120 i'll say don't think about it twice and do it.. you are going to need a hear dryer for the front bumper.

Originally Posted by Foreu2env
P.S. MR305, did you photochop the antenna off that car or is it really 2 inches tall?
No is not 2" it is 8" but the picture is dark and it can't be seen.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

$120 is a deal to me i will try the yellow pages and see if i could find anything under $200. thanks for the advice guys!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

put a teaspoon of alcohol in the soapy water mix. it helps it dry faster & still be able to slide it around. clay bar the surfaces you are going to decal. it makes them smooth as glass.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Stick03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mach1na
$120 is a deal to me i will try the yellow pages and see if i could find anything under $200. thanks for the advice guys!
Good luck!! Let us know how everything turns out!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

I did mine by myself - no help. It's doable, and the nice thing is, if you by bulk vinyl, you don't need to worry about mistakes. The vinyl I used is 10" wide, and I have a 2" gap between the two (real similar to the original Lemans Stripes on the '65, but those are actually not a constant 10" - they taper.)

My vinyl was a bit expensive (www.vinylstriping.com), but I got the premasked (a must) and also got silver metalic which drove the price up. You get 50 yards for the price, which is enough to do at least three cars. I've done two already, and have more left over. They also supply the application squeegee, a must.

Anyway, some tips:

- As mentioned in an earlier post, clay the entire center of the car before doing anything.
- Soapy water is a must as well. A squirt of Dawn in 8oz bottle is all it takes. This nearly eliminates trapped air bubbles under the vinyl.
- I went to the local autopaint store, and got a 1/2" wide and a 3/4" wide roll of good masking tape.
- I measured the center of each panel, then laid the 1/2" wide right down the center. I put a 3/4" wide on each side to give me the 2" spacing.
- Spray the area generously with soapy water.
- Peal the adhesive off the back, and for large pieces (hood and roof) spray the back with soapy water as well.
- I found that it's best to let it dry for about a half hour before removing the masking from the top of the vinyl.
- The front and rear bumpers I did in two pieces, because of the curvature. Top surface is one piece, then vertical surfaces are another. I overlapped them about 1/8" on the vertical, just below the corner. Hardly noticable.
- Stock front on the V6 is tricky but also doable. For this, I did it dry and also removed the masking before application. Without the masking, the vinyl is quite plyable and can be formed into the curved surfaces.
- The rear faux gas cap is 6" in diameter. I drew a 6" circle on my PC, then drew a line through the diameter, and offset that line by 1" on each side. I printed it out, and then used that for a template to cut the vinyl before applying.
- I also did the rocker stripes myself, with 2" and 1/4" silver vinyl.

That's it - really it's quite easy, you just need to take your time. Doing it yourself is 1/2 the fun of modding IMO.
Attached Thumbnails applying vinyl rally stripes? can i do this myself?-100_1953.jpg  

Last edited by DriWashSolutions; 09-11-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

does anyone know if bal street mods has the cutout for the hood scoop i have? it's the hood scoop ford sells at the dealer.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
1loudredfire
1st Gear Member

have a friend halp and take your time, it shouldn't take more than a few hours
Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I may try this out myself also. My plans call for only the roof and back.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1loudredfire
have a friend halp and take your time, it shouldn't take more than a few hours
The hood, roof and decklid may only take a few hours, but the bumbers are gonna take a few hours for each. I'd give it a weekend - remember, take your time and they'll come out great.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Sevalley
1st Gear Member

Did it myself with a friend, took about 8 hours of HARD WORK, but def doable, just need patience. paid $110 on ebay for the stripes. Water and soap were free.

Quick Reply: applying vinyl rally stripes? can i do this myself?