Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trading in the V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Definitely sell it yourself unless the the dealer can give you a killer trade in deal. I know around here you can find brand new '08 GTs selling for $22K.
To be honest, you have a lot of miles so that is going to hurt the resale value.

I would revert back to stock and sell the modded parts separately. You won't gain anything by leaving them on.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
06 sixxer with 71k? Expect about $6k from the dealer. You should be able to get $8-9K locally via Craigs List if you are patient. Prepare to deal with some whackos though.

I had a guy want to trade me 9 Doberman puppies for my wife's car...seriously.

Clean it up in the spring and on a warm Sunday, it will sell.
now THAT is funny
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 2005 V6 June 2008 for $11,500 with 29K miles on it. After spending about $2,500 doing the typical mods to make it "my own" (see sig) last Fall I realized that, while it's cool-looking and FAST (for V6), it'll never be a V8!

As we all know, currently the deals on Mustangs are INCREDIBLE by last year's standards! I've been researching V8 Mustangs for about 3 months now and I'm finding SUPERCHARGED SALEENS etc. that are about the same price as what I'd expected to pay for a stock GT last year

Consequently, a V6 is just NOT going to sell for anything even approaching a fair price! IMO everyone commenting so far is STILL overly optimistic about the price you'd get for your V6. So it DOESN'T help to get a price reduction on the purchase of a GT if you're going to take a HUGE loss on the V6... your net difference between selling the V6 & buying the V8 is about the same as LAST YEAR'S prices!

I'd get about $7,000 for mine if I'm lucky (2005 in excellent condition with 40K miles) which means I'd lose about HALF the money I spent buying & modding it. My solution is to keep the V6 for my 18-yr-old son & next year's "Winter car"..

So maybe you too should consider taking advantage of the "buyer's market" to buy the GT of your dreams and keep your V6 as the "beater car" so you never have to drive the "GOOD CAR" in bad weather? Can you honestly say you'd find a Winter car for less than what you get for your V6? And would it be anywhere NEAR as cool?

Very soon I'll be driving a KILLER supercharged V8 "show car" on nice days and STILL have a cool V6 to drive when my V8 is resting in a safe, cozy garage! And it cost me less than $30,000!

Last edited by iROK24/7; 01-28-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

call me ole fashioned, but after the experience of paying over 25K for a new car and watching the value sink faster than the titanic... i will never ever buy a new car again, i dont care what it is. Ill keep this v6, because no matter what THEY say it is worth, I know what I spent on it. No way i'll just give it away.

A word to the wise, buy a car that is 3 years old and save nearly 50% even if it only has 1000 miles on it.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
call me ole fashioned, but after the experience of paying over 25K for a new car and watching the value sink faster than the titanic... i will never ever buy a new car again, i dont care what it is. Ill keep this v6, because no matter what THEY say it is worth, I know what I spent on it. No way i'll just give it away.

A word to the wise, buy a car that is 3 years old and save nearly 50% even if it only has 1000 miles on it.
The other route to keep from taking a bath is to buy new and keep it for 10+ years. We have done that on 1 Honda and 2 Accura's the last 19 years and come out fine buying new.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
The other route to keep from taking a bath is to buy new and keep it for 10+ years. We have done that on 1 Honda and 2 Accura's the last 19 years and come out fine buying new.
using your math...if i buy at 3 years and keep for 7 more i still save 50% more.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Well all the research over these past 6 months finally paid off when I found THIS incredible deal on an incredible car... I flew with my 18 year-old son down to Tampa over the weekend to buy it. Brandon Tandoi (GREAT "gear head" of a guy) proprietor of Florida Performance Motorcars, picked us up @ the airport & let me drive it all weekend - I LOVED it & now it's MINE! Will ship to Boston when Spring has sprung.. I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase!

I will post my own pics & video soon - but right now it's Monday @ work & I've got to get busy! Check out pics, description & VIDEO in link below:

http://www.fpmotorcars.com/vehicledetails.php?vid=100
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
Well all the research over these past 6 months finally paid off when I found THIS incredible deal on an incredible car... I flew with my 18 year-old son down to Tampa over the weekend to buy it. Brandon Tandoi (GREAT "gear head" of a guy) proprietor of Florida Performance Motorcars, picked us up @ the airport & let me drive it all weekend - I LOVED it & now it's MINE! Will ship to Boston when Spring has sprung.. I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase!

I will post my own pics & video soon - but right now it's Monday @ work & I've got to get busy! Check out pics, description & VIDEO in link below:

OH MY!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7

looks like all the months of searching finally paid off buddy. good find. looks like a sweet ride. and you kept the v6. good find.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Thanks my friends! Funny how taking the time to think it through allowed my philosophy to evolve & I realized that the V8 I REALLY wanted couldn't be daily driven... so now I've got a badass drag car capable of 11 sec 1/4 miles AND I keep my cool V6 so I can treat the V8 right. Having the best of both worlds, 2 Mustangs.. lets me ROCK 24/7 LOL!

Last edited by iROK24/7; 02-02-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Trading in the V6