Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about Zex Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

I read the Nitrous intro in the Pipes, Boost & Juice section but I'm still a little confused. After an aluminum driveshaft I think N20 will be my next upgrade, definately a great alternative to F/I, so I wanna learn as much as possible.

1. "75" shot or "100" shot pertains to the boost of horsepower?

2. When does nitrous spray? All I know about it is what you see on Fast & Furious where they push the magic button for NOS lol. Do you set it to only spray at WOT and have an on and off switch for DD use?

3. How safe is it on your engine? I'm assuming it's safer than FI as your engine is only under increased stress while your spraying at the track as opposed to almost always with boost?

4. How long does a bottle last? Is there a certain amount of sprays or do spray lengths vary?

5. How much to fill up a bottle?

I've always wondering this about N20. Please Help
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I can hit most of those.

1. Yes. I am going with a 100 shot.

2. All the kits I am looking at have an "electronic" wide open switch...so they come on when your pedal hits the floor pan. One big benefit of drive by wire I guess.

3. Very with a solid tune...but the same can be said for FI too. These are STRONG motors.

4. There is a formula to figure it out based upon your jet size, but there are all kinds of other factors. I havent ran N2O in a lonf time, but we got about 90-120 seconds on small jest (75 or 100) on a 10# bottle. You are looking at 8 good runs on a bottle.

5. $4-5 a pound at the track, less at your shop...around $3.50 at my local shop.

I just have to decide which kit to go with. I am leaning towards the dynotunes kit as it seems pretty complete. I too am doing this right after the al driveshaft.

Then I am done.

Really.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Then I am done.

Really.
^^^^^^^^^^i don't think so...i was done after my intake and exhaust...lol

i am probably going to get the Dynotunes kit just so i can buy more accesories like a bottle warmer and blowdown kit.....maybe the purge kit to get more consistant runs....i am only going to be using this at my local drag strip, so i am gonna need to swap tunes when i wanna install the bottle..BTW the Speed of sound cup holder switch will definatly find its way into my car when i get this stuff.....probably gonna order all the goodies in a week or two...when i get my taxes back
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

Let us know how it goes. I must say, your making a great decision as i love my kit! A whole new car at the track!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I can hit most of those.

1. Yes. I am going with a 100 shot.

2. All the kits I am looking at have an "electronic" wide open switch...so they come on when your pedal hits the floor pan. One big benefit of drive by wire I guess.

3. Very with a solid tune...but the same can be said for FI too. These are STRONG motors.

4. There is a formula to figure it out based upon your jet size, but there are all kinds of other factors. I havent ran N2O in a lonf time, but we got about 90-120 seconds on small jest (75 or 100) on a 10# bottle. You are looking at 8 good runs on a bottle.

5. $4-5 a pound at the track, less at your shop...around $3.50 at my local shop.

I just have to decide which kit to go with. I am leaning towards the dynotunes kit as it seems pretty complete. I too am doing this right after the al driveshaft.

Then I am done.

Really.
Thanks for the help . I thought you were done after the 8.8? Now its the aluminum driveshaft and a little juice. The mods never end
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
1. "75" shot or "100" shot pertains to the boost of horsepower?
2. When does nitrous spray? All I know about it is what you see on Fast & Furious where they push the magic button for NOS lol. Do you set it to only spray at WOT and have an on and off switch for DD use?
3. How safe is it on your engine? I'm assuming it's safer than FI as your engine is only under increased stress while your spraying at the track as opposed to almost always with boost?
4. How long does a bottle last? Is there a certain amount of sprays or do spray lengths vary?
5. How much to fill up a bottle?
illin covered it very well so i'll just build on top of that with a few added tips.
1. the # represents H.P. but you'll also get a big boost in torque. Higher than the HP # at low rpm and typically drops below at the upper range.
2. Only @ WOT above 3k for ideal safety (i sprayed @ 2800 until my clutch started slipping). A master power switch arms the whole system. a more advanced set up uses a window switch to provide added control. it will only activate the solenoids in the user specified rpm range and beginning gear, so all you need to do is drive.
3. for added insurance use a window switch and at least a Fuel Pressure Safety SwitchT'd into the fuel rail that will deactivate the system should fuel pressure drop below 35 psi. just like f/i lean = breakage.
4. I get 7 strong passes on the 100 shot and can squeeze 10 passes out with at least 15-20 min between rounds to heat the bottle back up to pressure. by the 10th I can't hold full pressure for the full run. Oh, and a quick purge up to the 7th pass.
5. I pay $3.75 lb. Try this refill locator for some shops near you.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

double posted, sorry i'm shot
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

^^Thanks for the info, helps alot
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
kb17qbmustang05

I had a zex kit, before the S/C. You have to have that Kit tuned like crazy. I had 150 shot on stock motor and ran mid 12's, it was a stick car so i was snatching gears. But i really like the kit. I really like it cause you can set it up to spray off the line while tuning it to the ecu. The best thing to do with the zex kit is setup 2 stages. Its really cheap and easy to do!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kb17qbmustang05
I had a zex kit, before the S/C. You have to have that Kit tuned like crazy. I had 150 shot on stock motor and ran mid 12's, it was a stick car so i was snatching gears. But i really like the kit. I really like it cause you can set it up to spray off the line while tuning it to the ecu. The best thing to do with the zex kit is setup 2 stages. Its really cheap and easy to do!
Unfortunately 150 shot is too much for the stock 4.0 unless you aren't worried about how long it lives. I'm not aware of anyone running a 2 stage on the 4.0. What controller did you use on your GT?

Quick Reply: Questions about Zex Kit