Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Launching our cars properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Such high tire pressure? When I ran stock Pirelli 17" tires, they would grip much better with 20psi in them; at 22, they would spin like crazy. This is for the rears only; keep the front pressures up, but you might have to lower the rears for some traction.

I know that fishtailing feeling! I ran at the track a few times like that and had numerous times where it got loose; but I always stayed into it and got it straight. I finally decided to get drag radials, and that helped A LOT! With your power levels (still n/a), drag radials will be good for keeping things under control. It'll also take a little time off your ETs since you wont have those traction issues.

Oh, make sure you're not getting wheel hop, too; if you are, upgrade the lca's.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

so your saying when you get to the track drop tire pressure from 45 psi to 20 psi???
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Before the flaming starts I was on a LONG STRAIGHT EMPTY road with 0 traffic and 55mph speed limit. I went up and down the road to make sure no animals or objects were there, and besides that I had my brights on and its all empty corn fields around it so I would've seen any hazards.

Anyways I was just out in the country and tried doing this. I turned my O/D off, revved to 2000-2100rpm and let off the brakes and gave it full gas.

-Try 1: Spun out badly and then finally got some grip.
-Try 2: Spun out worse then try 1... I finally got traction in fourth

I guess I should do a good burnout next time to heat up the tires... I just dont want to wear them down too badly.

Besides that wont my engine or brakes or something get damaged by doing that? It seemed like it wasn't good for the car at all when I was just doing that... Will it break my brakes or any other things in my car by doing what I just did?!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Try lowering the rpm, since you have stock tires they aren't gripping well. Try doing it from like 1500-1700 rpm

Also just try from idle also, play around and see if you cant find the best combo of take off without slippage and without bogging your motor down.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Did I just kill my car by doing that last night?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

i drop my tire pressure between 18 and 20 lbs in the rear and 40 in the front....also don't do a burnout with stock tires, they will actually have less grip...they are not ment to be heated like drag radials....just do a quick spin to clean the dirt and debris off of them...i am manual trans but if you want check out my runs on youtube....
http://www.youtube.com/user/zerocool5537

Last edited by 4.0 $tang; 03-04-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Did I just kill my car by doing that last night?
yes ur car is dead... but in all seriousness 2100 rpms is way too high for our stock cars if i remember correctly i think around 1500 is ideal. but dont try to automatically shifting because the car can shift much faster and efficiently than you can... thats why it "automatic". and heating up tires doesnt do much justice to stock tires unless u have DRs then thats different.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by wolfpup
yes ur car is dead... but in all seriousness 2100 rpms is way too high for our stock cars if i remember correctly i think around 1500 is ideal. but dont try to automatically shifting because the car can shift much faster and efficiently than you can... thats why it "automatic". and heating up tires doesnt do much justice to stock tires unless u have DRs then thats different.
Yea I realized that 2100 statement was a little high when I left work. my bad.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

its all good... i noticed u corrected urself later but i posted already lol
Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
.... And most importantly, keep the front of the car pointing forward.
haha.... yeah, that is VERY important!

Quick Reply: Launching our cars properly