Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

have an opportunity, looking for some answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Smile have an opportunity, looking for some answers

Hey guys, I've come across an opportunity to do a swap on some of my stock parts (air box for CAI, my single exhaust for a dual, tuner) pretty much straight up at no cost! Sounds crazy I know, but true... A dealership I have connections w/ wants to turn the car they bought at auction back to stock for liability reasons and its up to me to pull the trigger.

the car with these upgrades is an 07 auto w/ 21,000 miles

My car is an 08 5-speed

my questions are:

1) what are the real effects of putting an exhaust that was on an auto onto a 5-speed
2) there shouldn't be an issue swapping the CAI other than needing my own custom tune correct?
3) if this tuner is locked, do i need to purchase a new one or can I pay to unlock it?
4) if i need to purchase a new one, is it imperative to have one and have my tunes loaded before i even think about driving 200 miles back to school?

Of course i get this phone call after i purchased a shaker hood on ebay sat so i will have to see if these will work under my hood before i go too crazy.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nutty2003
Hey guys, I've come across an opportunity to do a swap on some of my stock parts (air box for CAI, my single exhaust for a dual, tuner) pretty much straight up at no cost! Sounds crazy I know, but true... A dealership I have connections w/ wants to turn the car they bought at auction back to stock for liability reasons and its up to me to pull the trigger.

the car with these upgrades is an 07 auto w/ 21,000 miles

My car is an 08 5-speed

my questions are:

1) what are the real effects of putting an exhaust that was on an auto onto a 5-speed
7 more horsepower, and other effects include being instantly killed. There are people who will tell you that modifying your car won't instantly kill you, but they are just wreckless teenage modders who smoke, or worse! Beware.

2) there shouldn't be an issue swapping the CAI other than needing my own custom tune correct?
the tune comes with the tuner, if your car is a different year or the other car is a vert you'll need to get a custom tune, it costs $50 PM me for info on that.

3) if this tuner is locked, do i need to purchase a new one or can I pay to unlock it?
The tuner will not be locked, by returning the car to stock it unlocks the tuner. you can have one active tune loaded per car and every other car will be locked out by deactivating the original tune and returning it to stock you deactivate this lock and open the tuner.

4) if i need to purchase a new one, is it imperative to have one and have my tunes loaded before i even think about driving 200 miles back to school?
In all seriousness your car will either blow up and destroy parts of your engine bay and more or refuse to drive if you don't load the tune first.

Of course i get this phone call after i purchased a shaker hood on ebay sat so i will have to see if these will work under my hood before i go too crazy.

Thanks for the help!
The shaker hood works with a CAI. It actually integrates BETTER with a CAI than it does the stock intake.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-09-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the quick answers, obviously it's in my best interest to verify the tuner will be ready when i get there as I'm only going to be home for 2-3 days max and if i hand over my stock parts I really would like to get the car back to school in one piece ha!

I gotta say i like this site as people are generally precise and seem genuine with answers,,, that is everyone except the guy that flushed his engine w/ water

I'm pretty excited how this fell into my lap, i was really curious about the exhaust as people on here tend to recommend finding exhausts off of manual trans cars for manuals...

appreciated
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nutty2003
thanks for the quick answers, obviously it's in my best interest to verify the tuner will be ready when i get there as I'm only going to be home for 2-3 days max and if i hand over my stock parts I really would like to get the car back to school in one piece ha!

I gotta say i like this site as people are generally precise and seem genuine with answers,,, that is everyone except the guy that flushed his engine w/ water

I'm pretty excited how this fell into my lap, i was really curious about the exhaust as people on here tend to recommend finding exhausts off of manual trans cars for manuals...

appreciated
Thanks, actually everyone recommends finding the manual exhaust for every vehicle because it sounds louder. no one has proven that it is though or that you can notice the difference though.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

LOL.
I'd say, if you can get this: DO IT! That's a great deal!

The exhaust doesn't matter where it came from.
Will the dealer be doing the install/swap or someone else?

If it's a custom tune on the tuner, it would be better to get the proper tune for your car, for your computer 4-letter code.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
LOL.
I'd say, if you can get this: DO IT! That's a great deal!

The exhaust doesn't matter where it came from.
Will the dealer be doing the install/swap or someone else?

If it's a custom tune on the tuner, it would be better to get the proper tune for your car, for your computer 4-letter code.
yea it really is a great deal but now with a hickup...
it appears i will have to buy my own tuner as the car with the goods was repoed and the tuner is nowhere to be found,,, so they are just going the flash the car back to stock at the dealership,,,

so it looks like its going to cost me $300+ still to get everything, i saw someone offering to give a free tuner and cai to a stock v6er and if it wasn't 200+ in gas i'd be going there instead ha!

Don't get me wrong, it's a great deal still but man, it was almost a straight free swap!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

do the swap but return the other car back to stock tune before using it on yours or else it won't work.... what brand of programmer and CAI is it? i wouldnt worry bout the exhaust because the only ones that differ slightly between manny and auto are the GT take-offs. also, what brand of muffs are they?