Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

I'm running stock rear, gears, clutch...no problems.....knock wood. I also drive it like it's my car, not like I stole it. Free up the exhaust first, if you haven't already.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by black08mustang
yeah good point like the x can run ok just if i get the new rear everything else is a bonus.
Absolutely get the rear. Gears are not 100% necessary, but the t-lok is.

Once I did the "everybody does it" upgrades...my car would just do one wheel peels EVERY time I hit the gas...even with non-spirited driving. Gears REALLY wake up the car...and then the posi makes it actually move.

IMO, the lack of a posi is a bit of a safety issues, but you get what you pay for, and I knew that going into the purchase.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

To the OP:
What do you want?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Radar Dectector.....
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
mustangcr8z05

Default I changed..

Before I added my X, I added a S.Masters alum D/S and CHE D/S loop and K mem brace w/ TRQ stabilizers ( because mine is a 5 spd)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

You don't NEED anything with the X-charger. That's why it is a great product, even for a novice.

However if you have the desire to give your car what it wants, couple suggestions.

A) New Rear End. These are larger, stronger, have a higher gears (but not too high, so still good for DD), has T-Loc limited slip, and quite affordable. If you buy gears, and pay somebody to install them... they'll cost about the same as this. Might as well get the whole package for the same cost, much better investment. Plus it has the V6 flange already on there, don't need to buy a separate one. Direct bolt on assembly, it'll take a couple hours but you can do this yourself. I can't say ONLY basic hand tools, it's possible but I recommend an airgun for just 1 of the bolts. The terminology skips my head right as it's morning and I need more coffee in me but it's the large bolt at the top/center of the axle, it bolts the axle to the support plate. Getting a ratchet up there is a pain, you're going to bust a knuckle or two. The airgun will zip it in and out and save you a lot of headache. Every other bolt though go right ahead and use handtools.

B) Only if you redline shift, dragrace, etc. Torque Limiters. These hold the engine steady, keeps it from torquing over. 2nd to 3rd shifting is the main focus, as a redline shift from 2nd into 3rd most of the time it'll just bounce. Because the engine has torqued over enough. Bolt this on and it will kill this problem. But again if you aren't looking to dragrace then it's not exactly necessary and can wait for the future.

C) True Dual Exhaust. Didn't post a link because there's a larger variety, it depends on what you want. Xpipe, Hpipe, long or short headers or keep factory ones, which mufflers, etc. I can tell you what I went with, BBK Shorty Headers - JBA H-hipe exhaust piping - MRT AeroTurbine "mufflers" (they don't muffle **** ). With a supercharger the easier the exhaust can flow through the better.

D) Aluminum Driveshaft. Just as strong but vastly lighter than the factory driveshaft. Plus no adapter plates or anything it's a direct bolt on, if you have a set of wrenches then you can do this yourself. The safety loop will require drilling, though. Not mandatory but just precautionary. Downside is it is 4" in diameter, I'd like to find a 3.5" one personally. Can't seem to find it, and found a company with an article claiming they make one only to find out they don't so that sucks hard. However this one is only a slight performance increase, it won't give you near as much satisfaction as the 8,8" rear or the dual exhaust. But it does transfer the power better.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
HunterKelly

What about fuel injectors or ignition? Also if I buy the x-charger I have a CAI Exhaust and tune already. How well would that work out if I got the x-charger installed?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

X-Charger comes with its own intake, as well you must run a tune specific for the X-Charger (such as by Bamachips). So you can sell your intake and use that for gas money to enjoy a fun ride with the new X.