Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

About to buy my first car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

i got my 05 in 06 with 21k miles on it for 14.5 keep looking.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
solius

here is a really good site that i used that pretty much teaches you all the tricks and extra fees dealerships try to put on new and used car sales. Has really good tips and lots of reference sites. I used it and saved 2500 on my used mustang

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM
gmchx4

I bought my '07 brand new in 2006 for only 18k (granted it had zero options/upgrades at the time) but just to give you another reference point when researching deals. Like others have advised, make sure you always have the mind-set to walk away if it's not EXACTLY what you're looking for. Don't get caught up in the new car frenzy and have regrets down the road (easier said than done, I know). Having your parents with you is always a good choice too ...
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
turnercc
1st Gear Member

Try looking in a different area. I know when I bought my stang (just a few months ago) I found way better deals down in Ohio instead of Detroit.

I got my 2009 V6 premium with the shaker 1000, glass roof and 17 inch rims and 5,000 miles for $18,500
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Thats pretty high but you won't be able to find these deals that these others speak of. Because the new car market is cold, the used car market is hot. Prices now are about 2K more than they were last winter. Trust me, I shopped for 6 plus months before buying my 2006 pony package leather, shaker 500, ford racing axle back exhaust, s&b cold are intake, and only 19,946 miles last week. I payed 15,500 for it and where I live I got a great deal. Its in perfect condition and is a carfax one owner no accidents etc... I bought it through a smaller used car store that sells around 50 cars a month. I also found a similar one with all the same options except it had a manual transmission and 35K miles. They wanted 17,500! My point is shop around and definitely don't buy before driving a couple more. I drove four before buying and they all drove differently. I would also recommend buying the unlimited car fax reports for 30 days on carfax.com. I did that so that I could rule out all the cars that had been in accidents. As for dbirdrm's example either that vehicle has been in an accident, has a savage title, isn't in very good condition or he bought it from somone who had no idea what their car was worth. Also if a dealer trys to sell you a warranty know that they are making a lot of money off of it. Dealers pay about 50% of what they sell the warrantys for. Its great that your buying a mustang and I know you'll really like it. Good luck and sorry for the long post.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THEBLACKSTANG
Thats pretty high but you won't be able to find these deals that these others speak of. Because the new car market is cold, the used car market is hot. Prices now are about 2K more than they were last winter. Trust me, I shopped for 6 plus months before buying my 2006 pony package leather, shaker 500, ford racing axle back exhaust, s&b cold are intake, and only 19,946 miles last week. I payed 15,500 for it and where I live I got a great deal. Its in perfect condition and is a carfax one owner no accidents etc... I bought it through a smaller used car store that sells around 50 cars a month. I also found a similar one with all the same options except it had a manual transmission and 35K miles. They wanted 17,500! My point is shop around and definitely don't buy before driving a couple more. I drove four before buying and they all drove differently. I would also recommend buying the unlimited car fax reports for 30 days on carfax.com. I did that so that I could rule out all the cars that had been in accidents. As for dbirdrm's example either that vehicle has been in an accident, has a savage title, isn't in very good condition or he bought it from somone who had no idea what their car was worth. Also if a dealer trys to sell you a warranty know that they are making a lot of money off of it. Dealers pay about 50% of what they sell the warrantys for. Its great that your buying a mustang and I know you'll really like it. Good luck and sorry for the long post.

The new market is not cold, if you pay attention and are patient you can get ridiculous deals, i got over 7,000 in rebates directly from Ford last summer/fall towards a new mustang. I got a late model year 08 w/ 5 miles on it cheaper than an 07 w/ same options and 22,000 miles. and i got to choose between 4 different ones. If your patient, you will find what your looking for and for the right price.

No I'm not talking about military or obscure hard to get rebates either.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
eme_ms_87
1st Gear Member

congrats on saving money and choosing a mustang as your 1st car. Keep looking though man i'm sure there is one out there with your preferences at a good price. Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

dude go with a GT. it's the perfect market to buy one and you won't be disappointed
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by matanzero
I've been saving up since 6th grade and I turn 17 in July...finally.

I'm set on a V6, I went to a few dealerships by me last Thursday and I found a couple that were worth a second look.
The top contender right now is a 2006 white with pony package. I test drove it and it's SICK, but that could just be because it was the first day I had ever driven a Mustang.
They're asking $16,700. It's a CPO, 18,000 miles, pony package leather interior all that good stuff.
I'd rather get a car thats a couple of years older with all the extras than a 09 bare bones one, especially since this ones CPO the warranties would be about the same.

I did some reading but I still have a few questions. Do you all think this is a good deal? I figure I can get it down a few hundred if anything. Are there any specific things I should check out or beware of? It looks properly maintained and it ran great, but I'm going to have it looked at by a mechanic I know just in case.

This is my first car and I can't believe the hours finally upon me.

Thanks for your time.
That's too high, considering I bought my '07 brand new in Dec. of 2006 for $19K. Have you tried CarMax in your area? Be patient, there ARE better deals out there.

It's interesting that the used car dealer wanted that much for an '06 with 16K miles on it. Makes me wonder how much one would pay for mine with just 6100 miles on it.....and never driven in the rain. I've got the Pony Package with the interior upgrade including leather seats, Shaker 500, MyColor, 17" Rims plus all the other stuff. I also have duals.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM
G MOB
1st Gear Member

That is WAY too much money. I bought my 08 GT loaded, leather, 18's etc etc for
22,200 Canadian dollars.

It had 7800 miles on it when I bought it. Those o6 mustangs with the 4.0L in them are selling in Canada for around 13,000 CDN. I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Quick Reply: About to buy my first car...