Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

14K Mustang Front Suspension Squeakkkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

Default 14K Mustang Front Suspension Squeakkkkkk

So I have a little over 14K on my 08. I am wondering why when I rock the steering wheel left and right while driving I hear a squeak. I also hear it on bumps at slow speeds.

I have read that it could be the steering rack, but at 14K? It's almost a joke my car is falling apart because I baby it and protect it with my life.

I have read mixed opinions that its just the tie rods need lubing. Is this something I can easily fix myself without any available car jacks
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

WD-40... one of the greatest inventions in human history.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Man 14k for a suspension and its not doing your laundry for you? Good luck
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM
jhef30

Originally Posted by rettgoings
So I have a little over 14K on my 08. I am wondering why when I rock the steering wheel left and right while driving I hear a squeak. I also hear it on bumps at slow speeds.

I have read that it could be the steering rack, but at 14K? It's almost a joke my car is falling apart because I baby it and protect it with my life.

I have read mixed opinions that its just the tie rods need lubing. Is this something I can easily fix myself without any available car jacks
I was having the same problem right around 17,000 miles on my 2007 Mustang. I thought for sure my strut mounts were bad (mine was popping and creaking when I turned the wheel and making noise when I went over bumps in the road). I took the car by the dealership to have them check it out. They found two loose bolts on the steering rack and tightened them up. It has been about three months and I haven't had any issues. Best of all they didn't charge me to tighten the bolts up. Saved me about $300 since I was ready to order a set of heavy duty strut mounts to fix the problem. Might be something worth having the dealership check out if they can throw it on the lift and not charge you for it...quick and easy fix. I have read other posts where bolts in the front steering/suspension work there way loose pretty regularly on some cars. Funny thing is the mechanic at the dealership pretty much new right where to look...probably an issue they have seen before. If I have the problem again the nuts/bolts are geting a dose of lock-tight
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhef30
I was having the same problem right around 17,000 miles on my 2007 Mustang. I thought for sure my strut mounts were bad (mine was popping and creaking when I turned the wheel and making noise when I went over bumps in the road). I took the car by the dealership to have them check it out. They found two loose bolts on the steering rack and tightened them up. It has been about three months and I haven't had any issues. Best of all they didn't charge me to tighten the bolts up. Saved me about $300 since I was ready to order a set of heavy duty strut mounts to fix the problem. Might be something worth having the dealership check out if they can throw it on the lift and not charge you for it...quick and easy fix. I have read other posts where bolts in the front steering/suspension work there way loose pretty regularly on some cars. Funny thing is the mechanic at the dealership pretty much new right where to look...probably an issue they have seen before. If I have the problem again the nuts/bolts are geting a dose of lock-tight
thanks a bunch, sounds like it could be it. i may have turned on a couple brick roads too fast where i live, maybe they bumped loose over time
you think this is something i could do myself? and if not, about how long was the turnaround time at the dealership