Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

car will not let me lock the doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
sweetsmootmc

Default car will not let me lock the doors

I'm new to the forum and first time posting, and I don’t know if this is where I would post,

I have some crazy stuff happing to this car right now. The car, 05 Mustang 4.0 auto. This is my girl’s car and I don’t know what to do with it. Today we went to dinner and I noticed that when I turned the car off, pulled the key out and opened the door the radio stayed on. Also the car would not let me lock the doors, and the windows still worked. It's like the car was stuck in accessory mode and thinking the key was still in, but no chime. So when I got home the first thing I did was pull out the ignition and checked the switch. I work at a gm dealer and they have alldata, so I pulled the info on the switch. Switch checked out fine. The interesting thing was even with the switch unplugged the radio ect was still getting power. Next I pulled the accessory relay, still had power, so finally I pulled number 68 fuse under the hood which is ignition. Everything turned off. Put the fuse back in and everything was fine. But as soon as I started the car again it happed again until I pull the fuse and back in again. I’m thinking it might be a pcm problem.
Any help would be great. I might just have to take it to the dealer and let them stick it to me:-)
Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I haven't heard of that problem before. A small number of S197's had a water leak issue near the pcm that would cause problems. Look on the passenger front floor to see if the carpet is wet. You can search the main S197 forum to find the water leak threads.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I think you have a water leak some where causing electrical issues.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by sweetsmootmc
Today we went to dinner and I noticed that when I turned the car off, pulled the key out and opened the door the radio stayed on. Also the car would not let me lock the doors, and the windows still worked. It's like the car was stuck in accessory mode and thinking the key was still in, but no chime. So when I got home the first thing I did was pull out the ignition and checked the switch. I work at a gm dealer and they have alldata, so I pulled the info on the switch. Switch checked out fine. The interesting thing was even with the switch unplugged the radio ect was still getting power. Next I pulled the accessory relay, still had power, so finally I pulled number 68 fuse under the hood which is ignition. Everything turned off. Put the fuse back in and everything was fine. But as soon as I started the car again it happed again until I pull the fuse and back in again. I’m thinking it might be a pcm problem.
Any help would be great. I might just have to take it to the dealer and let them stick it to me:-)
OK here is the tool to help you.
Fords are not GMs and following diagnosing procedures for GMs wont work here.
The key switch does not control the DelayedACC feature. The SmartJunctionBox does.
If this is the only thing electrical thats not working correctly, I would suspect a bad door switch and not the wet SJB syndrome. I could investigate what
was happening when you pulled the fuses and relay listed above, but that is not a valid diagnostic procedure for the S197 Mustang. I dont have my
printed wiring diagram in front of me and the online Workshop Manual is a pain in the **** to navigate even when
you have the map for the darn thing inprinted in your brain.

Its the DACC that keeps the accessories on after turning off the key.
The DACC turns off after 15 minutes or when a door is opened.
Try doing the same ritual but open the PASSENGERS side door first
BEFORE you open the drivers door. If the DACC turns off, its the
door open switch on the drivers side thats bad. Simple fix.
Not a dealer stick it in and break it off problem.

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
I haven't heard of that problem before. A small number of S197's had a water leak issue near the pcm that would cause problems. Look on the passenger front floor to see if the carpet is wet. You can search the main S197 forum to find the water leak threads.
The PCM is under the hood. The SJB is in the area of the known water leak issue.
I would not call something that has had 2 TSBs out on "small numbers".
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...oder-list.html

Last edited by 157dB; 07-02-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
sweetsmootmc

Originally Posted by 157db
OK here is the tool to help you.
Fords are not GMs and following diagnosing procedures for GMs wont work here.
The key switch does not control the DelayedACC feature. The SmartJunctionBox does.
If this is the only thing electrical thats not working correctly, I would suspect a bad door switch and not the wet SJB syndrome. I could investigate what
was happening when you pulled the fuses and relay listed above, but that is not a valid diagnostic procedure for the S197 Mustang. I dont have my
printed wiring diagram in front of me and the online Workshop Manual is a pain in the **** to navigate even when
you have the map for the darn thing inprinted in your brain.

Its the DACC that keeps the accessories on after turning off the key.
The DACC turns off after 15 minutes or when a door is opened.
Try doing the same ritual but open the PASSENGERS side door first
BEFORE you open the drivers door. If the DACC turns off, its the
door open switch on the drivers side thats bad. Simple fix.
Not a dealer stick it in and break it off problem.

The PCM is under the hood. The SJB is in the area of the known water leak issue.

I did not test the switch using gm diagnosing procedures, I used Alldata. I don’t think its door lock switch problem, what about the car not letting me lock the doors? If I leave the key in the ignition it will not let me lock the doors. Smart, so that I don’t lock the keys in the car. So why does it do it will the key out? Why does the car think the key is ignition. But I did try opening the passenger door first, no difference. The only thing I did figure out is that it’s not the key switch, like you said. The water issue is interesting to me. This problem has happened before, about 6 months ago, anyways; it did rain really hard for about 2 hours before it happened. I just had a thought, where is the door switch at? If it’s at the handle then maybe that is the problem, because the passenger door handle has to be pushed in to be flush. I did see a service bulletin on alldata about how to fix the door handle problem. It’s funny, has I’m typing this the girl called me and said that the problem went away again. LOL. So anymore help would be great. Thanks for your help and I really appreciate everyone’s help. So anymore info would be great.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Problem went away, hmmmm, wet SJB. Galvanic corrosion with DC present.
You need the water leak TSBs.

I did some looking last night and here is what I came up with.
F44 in the BEC under the hood fuses all of the DACC.
The DACC relay is internal to the SJB and not field replacable.
C2280E pin 2 LG-BK is the wire from the drivers side door switch.
The connector is located on the back of the SJB with it being the
second big connector from the top.
Door closed, wire to ground.
Door open, wire open.
The short drop is also hooked to the door ajar switch and
the power window logic operates independently from the SJB,
so if you get a valid short drop when the door is opened,
then the door ajar switch is properly working.
Cant lock the door with either the switch or the key fobs.
Internal logic to the SJB and if you pop the cover off of it,
dont be suprised to see a big green goopy battery terminal
like corrosion mess. And a water leak to find to boot.
Drop that zero stang at the next dealership and pick
up hero non leaker vehicle.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by 157db
Correct, but in my defense it was early in the morning when I typed that and I hadn't had any coffee yet. I meant to write SJB.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

sweetsmootmc, check your passenger carpet to see if you feel any dampness. Sometimes it occurs on the drivers side too but most commonly on the passenger's side. You may have to reach up to the edge and pull it back to see if anything is damp.

Thank God I haven't had that problem yet.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
Correct, but in my defense it was early in the morning when I typed that and I hadn't had any coffee yet. I meant to write SJB.
Well then, please, please have your coffee and get it together before
posting answers to questuions on the forum with erronious information.