Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Question Brakes

Since getting my Mustang earlier this summer, I've really begun to feel the difference between ABS and conventional braking systems. Driving my car and then my mother's car feels like day and night...

I admit I'm a total noob when it comes to ABS...but it seems like the brake pedal is "softer" and you need a firmer foot when stopping vs. standard brakes. It has also been my experience that on previous cars, I was replacing brakes quite frequently, every 10-20k miles. Yes, those cars were old used-up pieces of crap, but still. I encountered one poster here who replaced the brakes on his GT at 125K!

Right now I have 22K on the car with no issues. So...when can I expect to replace my brakes and how can I tell when they're failing? Remember I'm used to "old-fashioned" brakes for many years.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

ABS = anti-lock brake system. I am not a mechanic but that should not be the reason that your brakes feel good. You're driving an 08 as opposed to "an old used up piece of crap". The ABS will kick in if you really slam on the brakes or go over a big bump while braking and the pedal will kinda pulsate. That is the ABS turning the brakes on and off preventing them from locking on and scidding. I generally check my brakes, roughly every coulpe oil changes. I don't know how long the factory pads are suppose to last but I would think around 40-50k. They have "sqealers" on them, so when they are getting close they will sqeal upon braking. Telling you it will be brake time soon.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:25 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

A brake inspection cannot replace "feeling" the brake pads condition...
Old 09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

No, but it can give you a good estimate of how much pad material you have left.

Satur9poet, if your brakes pedal feels mushy or it pushs to the floor, don't check the brakes, just replace them.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
No, but it can give you a good estimate of how much pad material you have left.

Satur9poet, if your brakes pedal feels mushy or it pushs to the floor, don't check the brakes, just replace them.
It's not to the floor and they don't squeal...I noticed the brake pedal when released isn't nearly as high as on the other car...of course the mechanics adjusted the brakes on mom's car so that it's incredibly high. You step on it and nearly fly thru the windshield. They might be adjusted "too" high, plus they pulsate like machine guns over 50 mph. New brakes shouldn't do that.

Also, does brake pad wear increase much if you do more city vs. highway driving? I would think so, but that's only an assumption.

Last edited by satur9poet; 09-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
ABS = anti-lock brake system. I am not a mechanic but that should not be the reason that your brakes feel good. You're driving an 08 as opposed to "an old used up piece of crap". The ABS will kick in if you really slam on the brakes or go over a big bump while braking and the pedal will kinda pulsate. That is the ABS turning the brakes on and off preventing them from locking on and scidding. I generally check my brakes, roughly every coulpe oil changes. I don't know how long the factory pads are suppose to last but I would think around 40-50k. They have "sqealers" on them, so when they are getting close they will sqeal upon braking. Telling you it will be brake time soon.
When I had 67,000 miles on mine and had to have the rear diferential replaced, $1400 smackers, I had them check my brake pads. Said I had 40% left on rear and 60% left on front. 80% was highway and when braking in town, I'm not one of those go and stop guys.
When had tire rotation at local front end shop early early spring with 90,000, rear pads would need replacement end of summer. I just had the rear pads replaced today with 96,000 on them and the mechanic at same local front end shop said it was time even though had a few more 1000 miles. Cost $171.00 w tax. I suggest you have your brakes inspected at 50,000 if you are mostly in town driver. When the shop puts on my snow tires in November, I will have them inspect the fronts free of charge. I suspect will be good for another 15,000 miles. I never have relied on the brakes squeeeeeling as sign for replacement. Caution as I don't want to have to replace the rotors in case there is no warning sign. My opinion.