Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey guys! Wanting your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Educate yourself (if not already) on the TSB's listed in the sticky in the 2005-2010 main forum. That's a pretty good indication of the chronic issues. Not everyone has had those problems but it depends on the car. I bought my g/f an '06 V6 last spring and it began hesitating. I knew right away it was the fuel pump TSB and it was fixed 2 weeks before the warranty expired. My point: knowing the TSB's will prepare you for things to look for. In some cases the fixes aren't cheap.

Since you and hubby are familiar with used cars, it's safe to say that the car will need something sooner than later; Simple, hard fact about used higher mileage cars. Now if it was a Toyota, you could forget what I said and it would be fine for another 200,000 miles or more.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

As an owner (and one who loves it) of a 91 Fox 5.0, that gives me a great idea as to the power (if not the low end torque) of the 6 cylinders. In fact, I told my dad, who is dying for a GT not to sneeze at the Sixes... I've driven one, but I was taking it to a dealership for a friends daughter and honestly paid more attention to whatever the crap that girl had in the cd player than the actual fun of driving it.

My PERSONAL preference is to get my girl a 1st gen coupe with an in-line 6 that needs some work so she can start learning the basics now - oil changes, points, plugs, etc, even some basic body work and interior re-dos, but if this trade comes through, I'll be happy with her having it instead.... especially given the safety record, as mentioned. She can still learn the basics on it and maybe even let her do some bolt on mods.

Also - I did not realize that could be done with a tune - the limiting the power etc. Self-governing so to speak. Mwahahahahah. You have just given this mom what will surely be viewed by her as an evil idea.

Any other thoughts, concerns, pointers? You guys have been great!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by Nuke
Educate yourself (if not already) on the TSB's listed in the sticky in the 2005-2010 main forum. That's a pretty good indication of the chronic issues.
I found those AFTER I started this thread - and very helpful indeed. I even learned some things about my GT - like WHY the gas pumps sometimes click off at a half tank. I knew it was a known problem, just not WHY - actually I suspected why, but the sticky on it just confirmed by suspicions.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
As an owner (and one who loves it) of a 91 Fox 5.0, that gives me a great idea as to the power (if not the low end torque) of the 6 cylinders. In fact, I told my dad, who is dying for a GT not to sneeze at the Sixes... I've driven one, but I was taking it to a dealership for a friends daughter and honestly paid more attention to whatever the crap that girl had in the cd player than the actual fun of driving it.

My PERSONAL preference is to get my girl a 1st gen coupe with an in-line 6 that needs some work so she can start learning the basics now - oil changes, points, plugs, etc, even some basic body work and interior re-dos, but if this trade comes through, I'll be happy with her having it instead.... especially given the safety record, as mentioned. She can still learn the basics on it and maybe even let her do some bolt on mods.

Also - I did not realize that could be done with a tune - the limiting the power etc. Self-governing so to speak. Mwahahahahah. You have just given this mom what will surely be viewed by her as an evil idea.

I definitely understand about wanting her to learn the basics, but having a daughter around that age myself, I'd surely rather have her in a modern pony with airbags, advanced crumple zones, ABS brakes, etc vs a classic in the event something unfortunate happens.

As for the reliability, I just had a buddy cross the 150K barrier with his '06 V6, He just fills it with gas, changes the oil regularly, and goes. I think the only thing he's ever replaced is a battery.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not to be a party pooper but as a parent with three kids have you bothered to look at insurance costs? I have one with a license and one that will have one in two months. I considered giving my 00 V6 to my oldest who was 17 at the time, when I got my 08 GT and let me tell you; It is hella expensive. Up to 3 times as much for full coverage on a mustang vs any other car.

I wouldn't consider anything less than full coverage for a newer driver because there WILL be accidents and dents and dings. When my oldest tried to convince me the insurance differences are not that big I let her know she can pay for it then. That changed her mind quick.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

Gotta say my 6 is holding up really well.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

I have considered the insurance - and my heart squeezes up for just a second - then I realize we have a type of insurance that covers every vehicle we own, no matter who is driving it, what it is, etc. Its dealership insurance. It covers two personal cars, and everything on our lot. That being said, I'd have to insure my personal car and let hers fall under the umbrella insurance as one of the two personal cars. *nods*
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

I have considered the insurance - and my heart squeezes up for just a second - then I realize we have a type of insurance that covers every vehicle we own, no matter who is driving it, what it is, etc. Its dealership insurance. It covers two personal cars, and everything on our lot. That being said, I'd have to insure my personal car and let hers fall under the umbrella insurance as one of the two personal cars. *nods*
we have a GT and a V6 pony. I'd be ok with a 100K V6. Remember that basic motor has been around forever. Rangers, Explorers, Aerostars. It actually started as a V4 50 years ago. It's bullet proof. As for your kid, what would you have given to drive a new Mustang as a kid ? A lot I'll bet. We live but once, why not live with a smile on your face ? Get the car, let your daughter drive it. She'll love it, you'll love that she has it, and it's an extremely safe car. If you can insure it, get it for her. As a guy w/3 daughters and 3 sons they grow up fast, 16 is a special time for a kid. A sweet yellow Mustang ? How awesome will that be ? Think of what it will do for her life.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Absolutely right. Y'only live once. I'm not all for buying popularity for her (and I know you weren't suggesting that!), but I do my best to expose her to things my parents never could afford - Taylor Swift concert, going to Florida, (WOO PCB!) (and my 8 yr old son too - he's a Camaro fan, but he's got time to grow out of it ;-), museums and music performances.... etc. Carpe Diem is definitely me... and by extension, my kids and husband. If you wanna hang with me - gotta be ready to have fun. She'd love the car, and therefore, I've not breathed a word of this out loud in earshot of her. She'd be crushed if it fell through...

So yeah, if we can work the deal, this would be a great 1st car sounds like. I'm dying to get my hands on it and check it out thoroughly.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

GhostHorse let us know what you decide. If you get the car, do posts some pictures.

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Wanting your opinions.