Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey guys! Wanting your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Hey guys! Wanting your opinions.

My husband has had someone want to trade an 05 Six (Yellow w/Black stripes too) to him for a Jeep he has. We know the car because there are only two that color in this area and its a small town. It IS a high mile car, probably 100K+ but its worth more than the Jeep is. (The trader doesn't know that, doesn't care anyway, he wants a jeep, not a car) I have not seen the interior, do not know if its a deluxe or premium car.

Anyway, haggling and deal making aside.... we have a daughter who, in a few years, will be driving. She's foaming at the mouth for a Stang and has no love for the 10s. This car would be perfect for her. We feel a six in this car would be just enough giddy up she can have fun but not get into a tremendous amount of trouble.

Are you happy with your Six? What kind of typical issues should we expect out of a high mile, 05? The car is solid, has been taken car of, just driven a LOT - open highway conditions.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I would check out www.kbb.com to see the value of the Mustang as well as the Jeep. You've got to remember the engines is our sixxers are made of iron not alumninum like what's in the GT. So, if given proper care, it can last a long time. I've read on here where several guys have V6s with 100K miles on it.
Definitely take it to a reputable mechanic and have them check it out.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

IMO, a V6 S197 (2005-2009, since you don't like the 2010's) Mustang is a great choice for a new teenage driver. It is a relatively safe vehicle. In terms of factory power, it is comprable to the Fox-era GT's, so they are no slouch, but not so much that she'd get into serious trouble. Like Sandy said, make sure you give it a good looking over.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

100k for a 4 year old car? thats seems a little high. does it have mods to it? if so, someone might of been screwing with it and damaged something.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5T4NG
100k for a 4 year old car? thats seems a little high. does it have mods to it? if so, someone might of been screwing with it and damaged something.
It is possible. There are some members here who have that many on their S197.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Oh yeah - we'd check KBB - my husband and I own a small car dealership, and we swing seasonally from bass boats to golf carts to low budget pre-73 cars, and etc, depending on the time of the year. We buy/trade anything! LOL He's pretty savvy on dealing...

Anyway - yeah...100K on a 4 year old car. It does seem high, but we and this car's owner live in a small town - if you get a decent job, odds are its out of town, and you're driving minimum 90 miles round trip 5 days a week. Its nothing for me to put 25-30k in a year on one car and that's just work and back (that's why I love having the convertible Fox - I can keep some of the miles off my DD in the summer and on nice days). In fact, the 06 in my sig had 36K on it three months ago - it now has 42k+

Assuming the 05 I'm talking about really has 100k on it, and is a base model, its worth 6K on the high side, 4-5K low. The Jeep is worth 4 or less, so I'll leave the actual horse trading (pun intended) up to my husband.

I just wanted to know how pleased you guys are with your car and if there's any problems other than the usual high mileage issues we should be aware of. Thanks for the feedback so far!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The 05s are problematic at best.
I would be checking for the water damage issue
and the like before purchasing.
You might be buying an electrical problem...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

i have no water damage issues at all, my car is rock solid. I have 75k on my stang and she is holding up strong. I also stress my stang with occasional strip/track trips. Mines an 05 also. Im just saying if its well taken care of itll hold up just fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
i have no water damage issues at all, my car is rock solid. I have 75k on my stang and she is holding up strong. I also stress my stang with occasional strip/track trips. Mines an 05 also. Im just saying if its well taken care of itll hold up just fine.
+1, I agree. My '05 has 107k now and no major issues and I hot rod it as well. The two biggest issues are the passenger side inside directional is out -I assume is PCM related as it isn't the bulb itself at fault; and I occasionally get the wrench light on and go into limp mode. Normally it will clear quickly by just shutting it down for a minute and restarting.
Safety wise the mustang is rated best in class. As noted power is on par with the old Fox 5.0, just not as torquey down low so it is easier to drive. Since she is going to be a brand new driver you might want to consider going with a custom tune. With a custom tune you can program the car to limit the power as you see fit - off the line, top end m.p.h. really anything you might want.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

i used to have a 6 before i bought the v8 and it was a fun car to drive. It is a great for a female teenager.. Everyone i know in her situation enjoys the 6

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Wanting your opinions.