Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which way would you go: X or GT?
X
62.96%
GT
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Options: GT vs X-charger....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I am running a 7.5 with 3.73's, and I don't go to the track yet, but others have done a ton of runs with with the 7.5.

Just be prepared that while it has known to hold, it isn't designed for hard launches with that much torque.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i believe beaustang is still running the 7.5 rear with his X. i think its fine unless you have plans for the strip on a regular basis.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I am running a 7.5 with 3.73's, and I don't go to the track yet, but others have done a ton of runs with with the 7.5.

Just be prepared that while it has known to hold, it isn't designed for hard launches with that much torque.
good news!!! thanks!
oh i was looking at ur link to pics of your car and idk if you've done it on purpose, but ur tires are on backwards.

Im seriously thinking about mixing the X and cams about now. I heard a few V6's on youtube, and all i can say is wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0_d-wswyM

only 4.0 i could find
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqc1h...eature=related
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
Ive been tossing around the idea lately, and i have found a few nice GT in my area. My car is fully paid off and i also have about $2500 sitting around. I could easily go down to the dealership and get me a nicely used Gt I've been looking at for some time now. I've always wanted a V8 but fuel economy, insurance, and my old parts already on my car would go down the drain.

The prospect of the V8 is very tantalizing, but the prospect of the X with low cost and maintainable fuel economy are starting to look a little better. But HP is lost, maybe not 100% so with the coming of the IC X... (325hp? maybe)

My question to you X-charged guys is simply: y?
Have you checked to see how much your insurance would increase if you had V8? The other day for the hell of it, I checked to see what my insurance would be if I replaced my 06 GT with a 06 V6. My rate would only drop $1.60 per. month. I don't think you would be saving fuel economy if you added an x-charger. True, you could stay out of boost, but once you hit boost, I would assume your fuel economy would suffer. What is the HWY MPG of a v6 mustang? I am guess most people get 28 to 30 at 65MPH. I just did a cross country trip from CA to VA and back. Driving 65-75 I would get about 24 to 26 MPG and this is with 4.10s.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
Have you checked to see how much your insurance would increase if you had V8? The other day for the hell of it, I checked to see what my insurance would be if I replaced my 06 GT with a 06 V6. My rate would only drop $1.60 per. month. I don't think you would be saving fuel economy if you added an x-charger. True, you could stay out of boost, but once you hit boost, I would assume your fuel economy would suffer. What is the HWY MPG of a v6 mustang? I am guess most people get 28 to 30 at 65MPH. I just did a cross country trip from CA to VA and back. Driving 65-75 I would get about 24 to 26 MPG and this is with 4.10s.
I know that if i got and X my economy wouldnt matter anymore!!! lol. but the insurance is something ive always wanted to look into. I think ill venture up there sometime and see how big my increase would be.

holy! CA to VA!!! now that's a road trip!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I can get a bit over 30 with my 3.31 @ 60 in my GT.

Ive always liked the idea of the x charger but id you can afford it id go for a GT. You can hit your 325+ HP goal easily and have room for quite a bit more if you get tired of it. I think the stock GT block can handle 800 hp with a forged rotating assembly. Either one is a good choice its just a matter of future plans. Will you be fully satisfied with 350 HP or will you want to step that up more?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

350HP sound pretty pleasing so far, any higher and i would definitely sell and get a GT. From a GT HP is almost limitless, but pricey and not meant for a DD nor is it practical.

But then again the X starts to sound unpractical because of its cost, i could just get a GT for the same price and a little less HP. But the V8 grumble and power potential is there.

This is the same place I've always gotten stuck at; which way left or right? GT or SUPERCHARGED V6? So i just wanted to see what other people's reasoning were when they decided what road to go down.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i say go X for uniqueness and the fact that you already own the V6. assuming you dont want much more power than the X will give you, you'll be right there with a GT. IF you can get a GT for no more extra cash needed, then go for it. keep note that mods are a little pricier so be prepared for that but more power potential is obvious.

really comes down to price difference out of your pocket and how much power you really want or need.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

If it were up to me, i'd go with the X (i personally plan to go turbo or with a Paxton centri). When I bought my Mustang, it was either a GT500 or V6. The GT500 was out of my price range at the time. After seeing the CS6, I knew I wanted to build a bada** V6.

Quick Reply: Options: GT vs X-charger....