Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DIY Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Default DIY Scoops

I have been entertaining the idea to pick up a stock hood somewhere and make my own scoop for it. I figure if it doesnt work out the way it is in my mind, hopefully not much money lost and I would still have my current stock hood. Does anybody have any experience working with fiberglass an how it would attach to the hood. I want to make it fully functional, and hopefully if it all works to plan, then get it painted to match. Anybody think this is realistic or have any thought or suggestions that may help in this process?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

REMEMBER THESE HOODS ARE ALUMINUM !are not easily welded and cost a fortune,at least around hear anyway.i would bolt a new scoop on and if you have never used fiberglass before i would find one i like and buy it .the stuff is a pain in the a$$ to work with and is very messy stinky and itchy.also very labor intensive to build the plug first and then make the mold and then the actual part. my .02 cents.go buy one.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rampant racing
REMEMBER THESE HOODS ARE ALUMINUM !are not easily welded and cost a fortune,at least around hear anyway.i would bolt a new scoop on and if you have never used fiberglass before i would find one i like and buy it .the stuff is a pain in the a$$ to work with and is very messy stinky and itchy.also very labor intensive to build the plug first and then make the mold and then the actual part. my .02 cents.go buy one.
Agreed. I do a lot of fabrication work and have some skills, and the only way I'd consider spending the time and effort to do something like this is if I absolutely couldn't find something even close to what I wanted pre-made. Working with composite materials isn't easy, cheap or fast (at least for a one-off project).
Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Agreed. I do a lot of fabrication work and have some skills, and the only way I'd consider spending the time and effort to do something like this is if I absolutely couldn't find something even close to what I wanted pre-made. Working with composite materials isn't easy, cheap or fast (at least for a one-off project).
Agreed +2

Working Fiberglass sorks and requires talent and patience.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

do it man! and post pics
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Hey in trying to do this, I need to know how the ram air kits get rid of the water that enters the scoops. Does anybody have any pics or descriptions of their ram air scoops of the part where water can exist? Or is there anybody with a ram air kit near York, PA or Northern VA who would be willing to meet so I can check out their set up in order to make my own.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

i didnt find working with glass to be that bad when i did some stuff (nothing major) but if its something you want to do, do it man nothing is better then making something

def post pics
Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmasek89
Hey in trying to do this, I need to know how the ram air kits get rid of the water that enters the scoops. Does anybody have any pics or descriptions of their ram air scoops of the part where water can exist? Or is there anybody with a ram air kit near York, PA or Northern VA who would be willing to meet so I can check out their set up in order to make my own.
the air intake is on the drivers side way up in the front. It will be extremely difficult to make a hood scoop functional. I'd look around for a Shaker kit if you want to have a functioning scoop, and even then they're more for looks than anything else. But they do look good.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Found a hood a a local junk yard, going to get in Thursday ($60). So hopefully I can get some fiberglass ordered and on the way. But in the mean time I guess its time to start on a mold. Im going after the b 429 hood look, but with my own dimensions. I am also going to try and make this a functional scoop. Anybody know how I can get rid of water coming the scoop, or how the shaker or other functional scooped hoods get rid of the water? That is kinda my last conceptual problem.
Now lets just see if I can make the fiberglass smooth and symmetrical. I will probably start on the mold this coming weekend, and if my mufflers and stock intake sell that will help out with my costs. Any thoughts would be awesome.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 AM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

the shaker and trans am style scoops are the only ones i know of that redirected water. most just let it in.

Quick Reply: DIY Scoops