Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what is this (see photo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

RF stands for Radio Frequency. I thought if it was not connected, it would communicate with the smart junction box by Radio Frequency. Unless you have seat heaters, or power seat, there is nothing else it would control except for the airbag. If it controls the airbag it would be the one in the dash, not the seats. The one in the dash fires at different rates so it doesn't hurt little kids. The side airbags only fire at full charge as far as I know.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If it's seat related and you don't have side airbags, then it could be some kind of module for the heater or the adjustable device if you have one on the passenger side.

Looks like an airbag module though, but the location doesn't make sense...
Our 157 Agent should chime in soon with his books...
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Where is 157db.....have not seen him in a while.....guess its cause I moderate less now that your here Pascal
Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by mygt500
Where is 157db.....have not seen him in a while.....guess its cause I moderate less now that your here Pascal
Lol, don't forget our buddy ODYSSEY.
He can hang with those boys just fine.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
RF stands for Radio Frequency. I thought if it was not connected, it would communicate with the smart junction box by Radio Frequency. Unless you have seat heaters, or power seat, there is nothing else it would control except for the airbag. If it controls the airbag it would be the one in the dash, not the seats. The one in the dash fires at different rates so it doesn't hurt little kids. The side airbags only fire at full charge as far as I know.
i hope someone chimes in soon because i am trading the seats today at 1:30!!! and they are not heated not automatic either, and yes i do have side airbags in them, so you are saying that it controlls the dash airbag? why would they put that on the bottom of a seat?! if i take it out and plug it in and zip tie it to the new racing seat, do you think that the dash airbag will still work? anyone?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Your racing seats do not have sensors so your airbags will not function properly. Should you get in an accident and the insurance adjuster sees the racing seats you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

If he's talking about the RF I think he is, it stands for Radio Frequency.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

I think it is a sensor for the front airbag. Sometimes when my wife is in the front seat the airbag light comes on. I think it can sence the weight of someone in the seat.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It has to be there for a reason.. and it does appear to be some form of sensor. Is there a slot for it on the bottom of your racing seats??
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

My guess is it senses the weight in the seat, and controls whether the passenger airbag is on or off.

"Standard occupant classification sensing builds on the strength of the Personal Safety System to tailor deployment of the front-passenger air bag. If the passenger-seat sensor detects no weight or very little weight, like a newspaper or a jacket, the passenger air bag is automatically switched off."

Quick Reply: what is this (see photo)