Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP suspension Springs/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP suspension Springs/Shocks

So after reading many posts on the forum I'm left with a few questions.
I'd want to improve the handling of the car, but don't want to drop it too much, maybe an inch. The car is NOT my DD, it's an occasional weekend car and a Drag racer. I might start going to a road track, but haven't got into that yet.

Anyway I was thinking the Ford racing setup might work for me, however 1.5" seems like too much drop, I'm paranoid about clearance issues on speed bumps, curbs/driveways.

Fords website list's the M-5300-P as a 1" drop, but says they're for the GT. Any reason these wouldn't work on the 6? If the V6 is a little lighter that the GT, will these springs have even less lowering effect? I plan on pairing them with M-18000-A Shock/struts.

And finally Lower Control Arms. It's my understanding that LCA's prevent wheel hop. Is one brand/kind better than another?

I'm trying to get all this installed the same time I add the 8.8 rear axle, thanks for any comments.
BTW... Already have Strut tower brace, front/rear GT sway bars.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

you most likely would yeild better results with a different set up. contact sam strano. hell hook you up real nice. i think the best bang for the buck would be the koni str.t. ive heard nothing but great results from them.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I can do you better, I promise. The FRPP dampers have good control, but ride like crap (which means not great handling when the road isn't nice and smooth). The Koni STR.T dampers are much better, and also have a lifetime warranty as well.

There are better springs too. Remember that a V-6 is smaller, but it's also all cast-iron where a 4.6 is all aluminum. Add the blower to you V-6 and guess what?

I'm a vendor on this site. I'm sorry I don't frequent the V-6 section like I should... in fact handling wise they should be the same section.

If you want to give me a call, I can definitely help you out. I'd be quite fine with discussing various options, as well as my reasoning for recommending what I do.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Marvin123

Yeah he is really goon and right man for this job

see this beauty
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Wes_T
So after reading many posts on the forum I'm left with a few questions.
I'd want to improve the handling of the car, but don't want to drop it too much, maybe an inch. The car is NOT my DD, it's an occasional weekend car and a Drag racer. I might start going to a road track, but haven't got into that yet.

Anyway I was thinking the Ford racing setup might work for me, however 1.5" seems like too much drop, I'm paranoid about clearance issues on speed bumps, curbs/driveways.

Fords website list's the M-5300-P as a 1" drop, but says they're for the GT. Any reason these wouldn't work on the 6? If the V6 is a little lighter that the GT, will these springs have even less lowering effect? I plan on pairing them with M-18000-A Shock/struts.

And finally Lower Control Arms. It's my understanding that LCA's prevent wheel hop. Is one brand/kind better than another?

I'm trying to get all this installed the same time I add the 8.8 rear axle, thanks for any comments.
BTW... Already have Strut tower brace, front/rear GT sway bars.
Heck, it seems you have it all together cept the V6 and GT spring compatability issue.
And the strut tower brace...
Get the Roush springs/struts/shocks FTW.
1" drop.
And polys for those sway pars....