Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT strut tower vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 48prerunner
I used the frrp gt strut brace on my v6 couldnt pass up the deal on it and at the time didnt know it would not fit without mods. just trimming the web on the intake a little and spaced the mounting points up a little and it all clears. its just the front bar that hits back has lots of room.
Until the HydroMotorMounts let it slap it a few times during hard launches.
Its basically an appearance item at best.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Put in lower motor mounts and run a V6 or GT strut bar....
Ouch!.....I think I would rather just do without the "decoration" of a STB and leave the M/M's alone!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Anyone that believes a strut brace is merely decorative on these cars either doesn't have one, or doesn't throw their car through turns very fast. They make a very noticable difference.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Anyone that believes a strut brace is merely decorative on these cars either doesn't have one, or doesn't throw their car through turns very fast. They make a very noticable difference.
Ouch!....guess I should have chosen my verbiage a bit more carefully. And, on both points, your correct.....I don't have one (anymore), and I don't "throw" my vehicles thru turns or anywhere else for that matter....I quit doing that about 20 years ago.

I may try one again someday, if the opportunity presents itself. I did not have a good experience with the one that I have had in the past....lots of vibration transferred thru the car with it on. I suspect that it was contacting the plenum with torque on the engine.

Both camps have there opinions of the STB. Thats what nice about this country!

Last edited by 05raggtop4.0; 02-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

The dont make one that you can use with a shaker hood system do they?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05raggtop4.0
Ouch!....guess I should have chosen my verbiage a bit more carefully. And, on both points, your correct.....I don't have one (anymore), and I don't "throw" my vehicles thru turns or anywhere else for that matter....I quit doing that about 20 years ago.

I may try one again someday, if the opportunity presents itself. I did not have a good experience with the one that I have had in the past....lots of vibration transferred thru the car with it on. I suspect that it was contacting the plenum with torque on the engine.

Both camps have there opinions of the STB. Thats what nice about this country!
Not intended as a smackdown, sorry if it came off a little strong.

If you were getting vibration with the STB on, I suspect you're right, it probably was making contact with the engine somewhere.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

This is the one I run and YES, it does make a difference in handling. This will work for ALL 05-09 mustangs (with and without a plenum cover (which I have)) although the hood liner may give some interference prior to a 2007 build. The 07+ hood liner has some notches in it to accomodate a factory strut tower brace. Prior to 07 you may have to cut the liner or deal with the rubbing.

http://northamericantuning.com/catal...roducts_id/994
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Or does not drive a convertable S197.
The coupes are stiff enough for me (thats what she said).
I would get a G-Trac brace before a STB anyday...

Some S197s are actually MISSING this part from the factory...
Crawl under and have a look see ifen yous gots ones.
Attached Thumbnails GT strut tower vs. V6-brace2small.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Or does not drive a convertable S197.
The coupes are stiff enough for me (thats what she said).
I would get a G-Trac brace before a STB anyday...

Some S197s are actually MISSING this part from the factory...
Crawl under and have a look see ifen yous gots ones.
I've driven both body styles, and they both see a benefit from having an STB installed (the lateral body structure stiffness between the shock towers isn't much different. The coupe does have the advantage though)

I do agree 100% on a G-Trac/K-Member race. Very worthwhile to add. The 'verts all come with them as far as I know, but even that can be beefed up with a better one with more/better anchor points like the CHE piece.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
lfb1

Edelbrock makes a brace that also attaches to the firewall. The catalog says it does not fit convertibles. Does anyone know what difference would be between the coupes and
convertibles that work prevent it from working on a convertible?

Quick Reply: GT strut tower vs. V6