Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Interceptor trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 AM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

Default Interceptor trouble

I'm just wondering if anyone has a dual interceptor set up with the roush vent pods. If anyone does, I'll share what I experienced last night after I smacked my mirror off the car.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Please share. I just bought some vent pods. Haven't decided on a gauge yet.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

I was driving and a passenger of mine was pissing and moaning about how cold it was so I cranked the heat up to full blast, but I left the two vents that I still had closed, so all the air was going through the pods to reach the back seat as quickly as possible. I don't know if it made the wires heat up or the pods themselves, but the screens steadily got dimmer and dimmer. Reminded me of one of those solar calculators slowly turning off. I thought I'd burned them out, but I cranked the heat to cold and steadily (Over a pretty long period of time) they went back to normal. Seemed pretty strange, but maybe my car was just pissed that I messed up her mirror.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

The Interceptor appears to use a backlit LCD (liquid crystal) display (as opposed to the more common LED type).

LCD's by their nature work by using an electrical current to change the state of the material inside the display (making it dark or light). Unfortunately because of the electrochemical nature of the required change, it only occurs between certain temps. Too hot or too cold and the display elements stop cooperating. Probably not a suitable gauge for the Roush pods.

Edit:

From the Interceptor manual:

"The Interceptor’s display is designed to operate continuously at temperatures up to 150
deg. F (70 deg. C). The display may appear “washed” out for a minute or so if exposed
to direct sunlight in hot climates after the car has been parked for an extended period of
time. If the gauge is mounted in such a way that it can be exposed to direct sunlight, such
as on top of the dash, you may want to consider a windshield shade, or unplugging the
display for a minute or two until it and the car cool off a little."

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 02-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea I have the interceptor in my vent and when the heat is cranked it gets washed out. Also if you touch the alluminum edge it's very hot with the heat on. Because I don't know what temp the gauge reaches with the heat blasting, I try and go easy with it.

.....same goes for cold, the gauge metal becomes very cold to the touch with the AC on.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
The Interceptor appears to use a backlit LCD (liquid crystal) display (as opposed to the more common LED type).

LCD's by their nature work by using an electrical current to change the state of the material inside the display (making it dark or light). Unfortunately because of the electrochemical nature of the required change, it only occurs between certain temps. Too hot or too cold and the display elements stop cooperating. Probably not a suitable gauge for the Roush pods.

Edit:

From the Interceptor manual:

"The Interceptor’s display is designed to operate continuously at temperatures up to 150
deg. F (70 deg. C). The display may appear “washed” out for a minute or so if exposed
to direct sunlight in hot climates after the car has been parked for an extended period of
time. If the gauge is mounted in such a way that it can be exposed to direct sunlight, such
as on top of the dash, you may want to consider a windshield shade, or unplugging the
display for a minute or two until it and the car cool off a little."
I figured as much, thought I missed it in the manual. That's why I went ahead and turned it to cold.

[QUOTE=VistaGT;6828059]Yea I have the interceptor in my vent and when the heat is cranked it gets washed out. Also if you touch the alluminum edge it's very hot with the heat on. Because I don't know what temp the gauge reaches with the heat blasting, I try and go easy with it.

.....same goes for cold, the gauge metal becomes very cold to the touch with the AC on.[/QUOTE

I realized that when I pulled the pod out at a stop light. "Oh Sh** that's hot!"

Well, I got my answers. I don't think it's a bad place to mount them, as long as you go easy on the heat. Most of the time I just use defrost anyways.