Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 Black V-6 mustang ... Looking to increase HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marc1326
So it sounds like the it is the combination between the CAI and tuner that makes all the difference.
Yes, that is correct. ;-)

The CAI/TUNE is what makes the difference. I had the Airaid CAI for almost a year and only felt minimal increase in HP and Torque. If I did it all over again, I would have purchased the CAI/TUNER combo!

I have a pypes Streetpro axleback exhaust and it gains only minimal HP as well.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

So it sounds like the it is the combination between the CAI and tuner that makes all the difference.
Ok let's clarify a few things.

The reason I said to get the combo is because....

------
A tune alone will make a difference in performance.

A drop in air filter will make so little difference you will not feel it.

A cold air intake will make so little difference you will not feel it.
------

With that being said... the CAI/Tune combo uses a larger CAI, and the larger CAI requires a tune otherwise it will cause problems. When you add a larger CAI with the tune written specifically for the larger CAI, you get a BIG jump in performance. They need each other to work to the full potential.

The 2nd biggest improvement to performance you can do for your car, is to get a CAI/Tune combo. The only thing you can do that will give you a bigger increase is to go with some sort of F/I (supercharger, turbo, etc.)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
marc1326

Great advice guys I really appreciate it. Okay, I am going to buy the combo from amer muscle. I am going with the JLC and tuner
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Awesome!
Make sure you get the 3 custom tunes, not canned tunes. ;-)
Let us know how everything goes once you get it all set up.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
marc1326

okay for sure, also I wanted to see if I can get the code for AM so how do I pm Amstanger???
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am not sure, I ordered my custom tunes from Brenspeed.
I guess, contact American Muscle and they should be able to help you.
Good luck
Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

cai+tune is a great mod prob ac &l bama tune thru american muscle
Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

i would say get a new mechanic, one that knows mustangs. oh and never go off of what the manufacturer claims when it comes to hp and tq numbers. they are almost always exaggerated. go off of what people that have used the products say. they will be more honest than the people selling the kits. i still believe based off of all the dyno graphs i have seen in the past that c&l will give you the biggest gains, but i hear that jlt is a close second. as far as a tune if you want you can get a dyno tune, but for a cheaper route you might consider a mail order tune. i used VMP when i was n/a for my tune, and it was awesome. Justin is awesome and a very helpful person to work with, also very quick with responses.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

okay so I just talked to the mechanic that installed my exhaust and he said that there is NO difference between a new CAI and a drop in K&N filter. I dont know, this doesnt really make sense but if true, I can instead buy new gears with the money I save from not buying the CAI!!!
that mechanic is an idiot.....or just plain ignorant. lol

The reason you make gains with an aftermarket CAI over just a drop in is not because of filter flow....it's overall flow...
with a drop in filter you retain the factory MAF which is restricting airflow AFTER the filter....

the aftermarket CAI utilizes a larger MAF which takes out the restriction after the filter and allows for more air to be tuned in.....but with a larger maf....it requires a tune ....WHICH is where MOST of your gains are coming from.
C&L I believe has the largest MAF in the CAI's followed very closesly by JLT.....either that or it's the other way around lol
I prefer the looks of the JLT

hope that helps a bit!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
marc1326

Okay so I talked to the AM rep today and they said I can expect around 28 extra HP from the combo! Thats not bad... right?

Quick Reply: 2005 Black V-6 mustang ... Looking to increase HP