Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2009 V6 Mustang Engine Cut-Off While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im not reading all of that but depending on what happened if the air intake came apart i can kind see what they are saying. a/f ratio goes off the charts and to protect the engine from going lean and blowing up it shutsdown. Not saying thats what happened but you are a fool to take legal action on this. sell the damn car and get a different brand if you want to be like that.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
dmindock

The air intake did not come apart, the filter become loose in the filter house. This has happened dozens of times on every mustang I have ever owned with no effects what so ever. This is my third mustang in 20 years.

As for selling this car and purchasing a new one, that is a possibility. This car is rigged to fail and leave you stranded. I need a dependable car, not one that is rigged to fail and leave me in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

bahaha ok whatever man.

if the air filter simple came loose the car wouldnt shut down....the dealership fed you a line and you bought it.

like i said, if the intake came loose maybe, but not if the air filter was 'jarred' a little. Its in a pretty tight box if you havent looked.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
dmindock

I didn't think they were telling me the whole truth. I am sure they just reset the computer and the car started, then they didn't want to do anymore and tried to play it off as a loose air fliter or loose door for the filter house.

I cannot believe that an air filter will shut down the engine. I poped the hood and I didn't see the filter hanging out or anything. The filter house seemed to be shut. I would have noticed if it was open. I was trapped on the side of the road with the hood open for some time.

I still think the engine will turn it self off again and I do not think the problem has been fixed. This may be a computer error. I did not even get a check engine light or anything before the engine cut out. Nothing.

This is very frustrating.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmindock
I still think the engine will turn it self off again and I do not think the problem has been fixed. This may be a computer error. I did not even get a check engine light or anything before the engine cut out. Nothing.

This is very frustrating.
Well, if it happens again, it sounds like you are planning on that, check the air filter. Make sure the air filter is secure, and MAF wire and housing are secure. That way you will know the dealership is giving you a bunch of BS next time.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Maybe I'm crazy...But if you want to test the explanation, it's easy enough. Start the car/pop the hood and pop the filter out of place a bit. See if it shuts down...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Maybe I'm crazy...But if you want to test the explanation, it's easy enough. Start the car/pop the hood and pop the filter out of place a bit. See if it shuts down...
I agree with mook.
... he's crazy.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
dmindock

So here is the question, is there anything special you have to do once the computer shuts down the engine. Is clearing the alarms enough, diconnecing the battery, or do I have to log into the computer and turn it o?.

The computer shut down the engine, so I could not restart the engine, hense I had to be towed to the dealer. How do you get the computer the free up the engine.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Not sure, but I'd definitely call the dealer and ask them. I would have asked right when they told ya, just so you know in case it happens again if it's something you can do on the road... I'm curious myself now just in case it happens to me lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If you find out how to restart the engine once the computer shuts it down, please post it. It's good info to know in the future.

Quick Reply: 2009 V6 Mustang Engine Cut-Off While Driving