Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need desperate help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
LGH

Default Need desperate help!

Hi everyone I'm new to these forums sorry if I posted in the wrong area.

My dad is about to buy me my first car and it's going to be a 2005+ mustang.

I want a

v6 Automatic mustang

How much do these usually cost and what should I ask the dealer for? How much do I ask them lower it? I just need overall tips on how to buy one exactly

I live in Vancouver B.C Canada and I'm going up north to Prince George B.C to buy it.

Can I ask company for a specific color without extra charge etc if I buy it from the dealer?

I need overall tips please anyone tell me what you've learned from expirience or reccomendations.

I think the car comes with an alarm system correct?

What is the insurance and gas rates ? I drive roughly within the same 20 blocks every now and then maybe once a week hourly drives then back etc.

Any questions ask away!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Is it new or used? And are you getting a 2005-2010 v6 automatic or a new 2011 v6 automatic?

Check out cars.com. The best thing you can do is to do your research BEFORE you go in, test drive, and become emotionally attached. Also, line up your financing before you go in too. Ford credit financing is a joke, and the little girl at the financing desk gets a nice incentive (on your dad's dollar) if you go with ford credit financing. So get your financing independently through a bank. Will save you a lot of money.

You will also want to check out truecar.com. This website is an invaluable tool for finding out what the true cost of the car is Vs sticker. However, if you are getting a new 2011 v6, don't expect much room for negotiations. New year, new model, hot demand.

If you're getting a used 05-10, you have more room to negotiate.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
LGH

Originally Posted by Biceps
Is it new or used? And are you getting a 2005-2010 v6 automatic or a new 2011 v6 automatic?

Check out cars.com. The best thing you can do is to do your research BEFORE you go in, test drive, and become emotionally attached. Also, line up your financing before you go in too. Ford credit financing is a joke, and the little girl at the financing desk gets a nice incentive (on your dad's dollar) if you go with ford credit financing. So get your financing independently through a bank. Will save you a lot of money.

You will also want to check out truecar.com. This website is an invaluable tool for finding out what the true cost of the car is Vs sticker. However, if you are getting a new 2011 v6, don't expect much room for negotiations. New year, new model, hot demand.

If you're getting a used 05-10, you have more room to negotiate.
I'm hoping to get a 2005-2010 model from a dealership v6 automatic.

what do you mean financing through a bank? Sorry again if I ask too many questions and thanks for the websites I'll check them out.

Do they charge extra for an alarm system racing stripes etc?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

If you are buying a used car, you typically get to choose from what they have. Buying a new car is when you can have it customized from the factory. Make sure to get a CARFAX from the dealer before you buy anything!!! The carfax report will tell you valuable info about the car, has it been wrecked, maintanance records, water damage repairs, how many owners, things of that nature. It will also tell you if the vehicle was previously a rental car. And I'll tell you one thing, I am not the only person that beats the crap out of rental cars when I have one. Food for thought.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
And I'll tell you one thing, I am not the only person that beats the crap out of rental cars when I have one. Food for thought.
I am one of them...too bad most rental car companies install an acceleration disengage device to prevent too much hot-rodding

Originally Posted by LGH
I'm hoping to get a 2005-2010 model from a dealership v6 automatic.

what do you mean financing through a bank? Sorry again if I ask too many questions and thanks for the websites I'll check them out.

Do they charge extra for an alarm system racing stripes etc?
Every bank will offer financing on auto loans. Go to your bank's website and check out their auto loan rates. They are usually lower than what Ford offers. For example, US Bank may have a 60 month rate of 3.99% whereas the stealership will try to rape you with an 8% interest rate for a 60 month loan. BIG difference in the amount you pay.

As for the alarm and racing stripes, as Joshspony said, if buying used, what you see is what you get on the lot. You can always add an alarm system and racing stripes (vinyl or painted) later.

Now, if you are buying a used car, you will want to do this too. If you know all the features on the car you want, go to kelly blue book. (kbb.com). Then, look up the actual value of that vehicle..even if you don't know all the features, enter it as closely as you can. Dealers, most anyways, buy used cars from previous owners based on the kelly blue book value. Then, they jack up the sticker price.

For example, if previous owner Bob sold his 2005 v6 auto with 36,000 miles on it for $10,000, and the dealership has a sticker price on the car now of $16000, you have a $6,000 negotiation range. That is very helpful to know going in. The more you know going into the stealership, the better off you will be.

In addition, look for incentives as well. I'm not sure if any exist for the car you want, but if they do, score
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

My advice to you would be to check and see how much your insurance is going to be. You are young therefore insurance can be very high to insure this car. Some insurance companies look at it strictly as a mustang does not matter being a v6 or v8 .No need to get excited about a car you can not afford the insurance for. As for the gas expense it is going to depend on how much you drive the car, you're driving habits and the price per gallon for gas. Like other people have already posted check around to get the best financing . And you will have to carry collision insurance on the car if you finance. Good luck with you're purchase.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...mine was previously a rental and I've had no problems so far. You could also argue that most of my car's mileage is highway miles which is way better than city driving when it comes to wear and tear.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
I am one of them...too bad most rental car companies install an acceleration disengage device to prevent too much hot-rodding

For example, if previous owner Bob sold his 2005 v6 auto with 36,000 miles on it for $10,000, and the dealership has a sticker price on the car now of $16000, you have a $6,000 negotiation range. That is very helpful to know going in. The more you know going into the stealership, the better off you will be.

In addition, look for incentives as well. I'm not sure if any exist for the car you want, but if they do, score
This is correct about how much wiggle room there is on the price. OP keep in mind that anybody selling anything needs to make money. You can't expect them to sell the car to you for what they bought it for. They need a couple thousand to cover safety inspections, maybe new tires, profit, etc.

The more info you have when you walk in there the better off you will be when you walk out! Shopping on sundays is a very good idea also, in WI all dealerships are closed on sundays, so there is nobody there to bother you. Write things down, take notes about specific cars then go home and look them up. That way you will be holding the right cards when you go back to talk to them.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
This is correct about how much wiggle room there is on the price. OP keep in mind that anybody selling anything needs to make money. You can't expect them to sell the car to you for what they bought it for. They need a couple thousand to cover safety inspections, maybe new tires, profit, etc.

The more info you have when you walk in there the better off you will be when you walk out! Shopping on sundays is a very good idea also, in WI all dealerships are closed on sundays, so there is nobody there to bother you. Write things down, take notes about specific cars then go home and look them up. That way you will be holding the right cards when you go back to talk to them.
Great info. You have to know that the dealer does need to make a profit from the sale. They are not going to sell you the vehicle at the kelly blue book value they purchased it at.

On the bolded note, another great time to shop is at the end of the month. Who knows, you may find yourself in the company of a salesman who has not yet met his monthly sales goal...in which case, he may be more willing to bargain with you. Or, you may find yourself dealing with a salesman who has met his goal and doesn't mind coming down lower in price.

Good luck to ya.