Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to buy with a $200 gift cert

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default What to buy with a $200 gift cert

Alright so I'm a broke college student and I've got a $200 gift certificate to AM. What do I buy? I was thinking maybe the black billet grille but then I thought well maybe I could just sell the gift certificate to one of my friends who was actually going to buy something off of there anyways, and then take that cash and put it towards some dual exhaust. I've already got two muffflers off of a GT, one installed, now I just need the H-Pipe setup and what not

Anyways what do you all think I should buy? My limit is pretty much $75 of my own money so I have $275 to spend...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Since you already have the CAI/Tune, go ahead and complete that dual.

Chin spoiler is also an option. AM has one (it reminds me of the fang chin spoiler). I was going to buy that but I ended up with the 3D Carbon air dam.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'd suggest completing the duals also

Otherwise, maybe some suspension stuff, sway bar or LCA's. I think they're both under $200. I'm not a fan of lowering, but springs are also around $250

Or maybe gears ($150-170) and save up to get them installed along with T-Lok. That's what I want to do, but as a college student as well, it's an expensive process.

OT: I see in your sig that you upgraded to the Shaker 500, is it a direct swap or is there anything else required?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I like the duals idea, sounds really smart to me, you should be able to get it done for $275. Good luck
Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Duals it is then.

Originally Posted by alec231236
OT: I see in your sig that you upgraded to the Shaker 500, is it a direct swap or is there anything else required?
I bought the shaker from someone for like $50 here on these forums, then all that was required was taking the old unit out and putting the shaker in. BUT I did encounter one problem - the shaker I bought was out of an 05 I think and my car is an 07. The only problem was the radio cable did not connect, so for a few months I didn't have a radio until I asked about that on these forums and someone said I need a chrysler TR-40 adapter cable for it and it will work. So I got one of those on ebay for $5 or something cheap like that, put that in, then everything works like a charm. The install is very easy to do, just kind of time consuming for an amateur like me. But I'd rather take my time than pay someone else, lol. The only bad thing about the upgrade is that when I got it I had lots of people saying I would lose bass, and others saying it wont make a difference - I assure you no matter what you are told that the sound is a LITTLE different because if you dont have the door subs then you dont get the "full effect" of it. So yes you do lose a little bit of bass but I would say that the CD changer option is worth the loss of bass. You really dont lose too much at all, but there is a difference. Apparently the door speakers are on high-pass or something and the door subs are for low, but if you dont have the subs you only get the high-pass. (It was explained to me once, I can't remember how it went)

Last edited by maxshuty; 05-25-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

AM sells the painted rear quarter louvers for $199.99. =-)
Select your year car and OEM color. You can install using the provided 3m tape.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...vers-0509.html
Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Duals it is then.

I bought the shaker from someone for like $50 here on these forums, then all that was required was taking the old unit out and putting the shaker in. BUT I did encounter one problem - the shaker I bought was out of an 05 I think and my car is an 07. The only problem was the radio cable did not connect, so for a few months I didn't have a radio until I asked about that on these forums and someone said I need a chrysler TR-40 adapter cable for it and it will work. So I got one of those on ebay for $5 or something cheap like that, put that in, then everything works like a charm. The install is very easy to do, just kind of time consuming for an amateur like me. But I'd rather take my time than pay someone else, lol. The only bad thing about the upgrade is that when I got it I had lots of people saying I would lose bass, and others saying it wont make a difference - I assure you no matter what you are told that the sound is a LITTLE different because if you dont have the door subs then you dont get the "full effect" of it. So yes you do lose a little bit of bass but I would say that the CD changer option is worth the loss of bass. You really dont lose too much at all, but there is a difference. Apparently the door speakers are on high-pass or something and the door subs are for low, but if you dont have the subs you only get the high-pass. (It was explained to me once, I can't remember how it went)
Sounds good, thanks. I've been looking to upgrade my current single cd head unit and figure the 500 is a easy, cheap swap and I like the 6 disc feature a lot
Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Sounds good, thanks. I've been looking to upgrade my current single cd head unit and figure the 500 is a easy, cheap swap and I like the 6 disc feature a lot
Yep it's worth it IMO. Just post on the forums your looking to get one and plenty of people have them. Dont pay anything over $75 though!

The only hard part of installing it was disconnecting the wiring harnesses behind the AC because I didnt know how (you have to push a button in then pull a lever down, kind of weird, lol).
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
The only hard part of installing it was disconnecting the wiring harnesses behind the AC because I didnt know how (you have to push a button in then pull a lever down, kind of weird, lol).
Yeah I've had to do that before and good god is that a pain in the @ss. It took me longer to figure that out than to take out the headunit & put it back together.