Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anti Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Default Anti Sway Bar

Anyone put a rear GT Anti Sway Bar on there V6? Can you tell any difference? Any problems during assembly? Have to remove tires/shocks etc? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Defiant

Default RE: Anti Sway Bar

Hi Jim

I just put an aftermarket rear anti sway bar on my V6 this past weekend. The major trick is that you will probably have to get someone to put the car up on a lift or else jack it up to get to the axle sway bar mounts. They're jammed in next to the shocks and it's a pain in the behind to get to them. I ended up taking the car down to the corner gas station and paying one of the guys $10 to put the car on the lift and spin a torque wrench a few times. That's one other thing you'll need of course -- a torque wrench and compatible socket set.

As for performance, I can already see a huge difference. Drastically reduced wheel hop, to say the least! My V6 used to love to wander all over the road after tripping on those @#*$% grates along the side of the highway. Now it eats them up and spits them out. Almost nil on the body sway now too... before I always felt like I had to "lean into" a turn like my dogs do when they're riding in the backseat... but now I can take a nice sweeping turn at 70+ mph and not bat an eyelash. Granted, there is a greater likelihood of the rear tires losing traction as you "swing" into a turn, but hey, it's all about common sense.

I purchased my 3/4" sway bar off of eBay... I think they're going for around $250 or so.

--=K
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Defiant, mine is enroute as we speak. Hopefully I will be able to jack it up high enough on the jack stands in my garage to get it installed otherwise I will have to follow your lead. As far as I can tell the only difference from the V6 to the GT from Fords web page in the suspension department is the sway bar. I cant wait to get it installed.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
gettna05!
2nd Gear Member

I believe the pony pac also adds a bigger front sway bar.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
cathane

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on getting a rear sway bar sometime this fall... after pricing stuff on e-bay vs one of the local Ford dealers I can get a GT sway bar from Ford with all the necessary pieces for just as cheap as aftermarket parts on e-bay... does anyone know if there are any issues with using the GT Rear Sway bar and linkage from Ford? Don't want to dish out all that money without knowing it's going to fit without issues. Thanks.

Cathane
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Defiant

ORIGINAL: cathane
I'm planning on getting a rear sway bar sometime this fall... after pricing stuff on e-bay vs one of the local Ford dealers I can get a GT sway bar from Ford with all the necessary pieces for just as cheap as aftermarket parts on e-bay... does anyone know if there are any issues with using the GT Rear Sway bar and linkage from Ford? Don't want to dish out all that money without knowing it's going to fit without issues. Thanks.
If money is an issue, I would recommend lurking on eBay and waiting until an inexpensive GT rear sway bar takeoff shows up. Those can ocassionally be had for $70 and under. Keep in mind though, the GT bar's diameter might be a bit too much for the V6... the rear sway bar I purchased was 3/4" and I think the GT bar might 1" or more. If you do put a GT takeoff (or OEM piece) on, you might be best off replacing the V6's front sway bar too to make sure the two properly compliment each other.

--=K
Old 08-17-2005, 06:13 PM
cathane

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone might be able to give me a little more information on the below item from E-bay

2005 MUSTANG V6 OEM REAR 3/4" SWAY BAR KIT

Is this a Ford part, or is it a part some company has created for the V6 05 Mustangs(Reason I'm curious is the OEM label)? I'm not so much worried about cost as I am about not buying something that is going to end up being the wrong part for my car... and ease of getting it. I haven't had very good experiences with getting stuff off of E-bay and across the border, so I'd rather try and get it somewhere in Canada. So if this is a Ford part (off the LS or Thunderbird maybe??? Thought I heard somewhere that the Mustang is based off of the same chassis as them) then I'd rather just spend the extra money and get it at my local Ford dealer. Any info would be appreciated, but after I realized (Thanks Defiant) the GT rear sway bar was 22mm (not the 20mm I thought it was), I'd feel more comfortable getting the 19mm rear sway bar (or 3/4 as most of you probably refer to it) so I don't have to swap out my front sway bar. Later.

Cathane
Old 08-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I wrote to that seller. Those are Mustang GT bars and hardware (hence OEM). He sells the convertible bars, which will fit both coupes, and 'verts.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:41 PM
cathane

Hey,

Does anyone have the "Schematic" that the fellow on E-bay sells with the sway bar kit? I purchased the GT convertable sway bar and all necessary parts from my local Ford dealership. Got it all installed, but I have no idea how much I should have tightened the bolts, and I was hoping it might be mentioned in that doc. If anyone has it and can pass on the information, or e-mail the doc to me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cathane
Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Torque specs are here (scroll down to post 17): Rear Sway Bar Discussion