Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to get more torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
ryon

I run a V6 and auto and chirping isnt too hard
The only thing is most of the torque comes in the 1.2k-1.8k to get the chirp
Just gotta learn, but a CAI and Tune will help tremously
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

I have the FRPP Cold Air Intake with the SCT Tuner from American Muscle. If you're looking for more torque, the race tune will give you more than what you're looking for IMO.

When I added duals too, I noticed a nice increase in low end torque and overall vehicle responsiveness.

I haven't added gears/T-Lok yet, so from personal experience I can't compare a CAI+Tune against gears/T-lok for you. But hey, why settle for one or the other? Go all out and get a CAI, custom tune, gears, and T-lok Slap on some dual exhaust, and there you go!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang1012
Does anyone know if overdrive makes it any faster or slower??
Overdrive won't effect your car until you reach highway speeds, all it is is a taller gear that allows you to maintain high speeds with less output from the engine.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

That's my V6 auto, been able to do that for a while, before I changed the headers and muffler.

It's not hard to do, although pointless.

We need to sticky a thread titled "Click here for info on adding power" to prevent the million threads about hp/tq

Add this to get more:

CAI & tune
Change your muffler or go full dual exhaust
Add shorty headers for a small gain and better tone

If you have more to spend buy a GT 8.8" rear end with some sort of LSD and 4.10 gears

Last edited by JCON; 07-27-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
shnorse

that's odd, my v6 will brake stand, spin them from a stop, and when the roads are wet, i can do donunts.

i'd do a tune up to your car, something doesn't seem right.. what tires you have?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shnorse
that's odd, my v6 will brake stand, spin them from a stop, and when the roads are wet, i can do donunts.

i'd do a tune up to your car, something doesn't seem right.. what tires you have?
Same here. Pretty easily too but ever since I upgraded my tires, I don't get as many chirps from a stop as I used to. That could be part of it.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

i was told headers can lose tq due to lessening backpressure.

and if i can screech my 20's you should be able to chirp your 17's.

but yes, hp and tq go hand and hand mostly, if you want to to punch off the line better then a good way is to lighten rotating mass, with things like a lightweight driveshaft. and if your a manual then a lightweight flywheel. and 4.10 gears help with the pull off as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
they both go hand in hand. when you look at a dyno sheet the torque curve is a derivative of hp (if i remember correctly)
Yes, they go hand in hand, but it's really more the other way around. Horsepower is a measurement of how much torque is produced at a given RPM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

Here's my stock manual 2010 spinning the tires, even though I wasn't trying to. Only mod is single GT takeoff. I couldn't imagine the auto drive train restricting the car that much. You gotta love clutches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsF4kixalV0
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

JBA's dyno showed a small gain in torque with headers and a muffler. Hope they didn't lie :X but the headers did make more of a mid range / top end gain

Quick Reply: How to get more torque?