Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Cusp
The FRPP air box seals with the hood liner, or an available hood liner in the case of the older S197s. In tests, FRPP was able to demonstrate their air box design was able keep the intake air 50 degrees cooler than under the hood temps compared to 17 degrees with other designs. That has to help but would not be apparent on DYNO tests done on rollers usually with the hood up which does not simulate real world driving conditions.
I watch my AATs and IATs religiously.
I see about 5 degrees over AAT at the IAT sensor.
Thats with an AiRaid CAI.
I cant reference underhood temps to IATs.
I would think 5 degrees over AAT is sufficient enough.
BTW, my air box also seals to the hood as well.
Nice big thick rubber gasket.
Talcum powder will tell you where yours is sealing at...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
The FRPP air box seals with the hood liner, or an available hood liner in the case of the older S197s. In tests, FRPP was able to demonstrate their air box design was able keep the intake air 50 degrees cooler than under the hood temps compared to 17 degrees with other designs. That has to help but would not be apparent on DYNO tests done on rollers usually with the hood up which does not simulate real world driving conditions.
Didn't see this post before, but looks like I made the right choice. Hadn't seen the Ford reports, but figured that was the case, by the way the housing looked. It does really seal off with the hood insulation. Put the Ford Racing CAI on today, along with the SCT custom tune. I think I'm going the be extremely happy with this set up......
Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

solid choice. although there may be a slight performance edge for the C&L, it may not be enough to notice over the FRPP so that leaves all the responsibility on the tune. good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't know about the 6ers but on the 3v v-8 equal tunes between say a FRPP and C&L, you're giving up about 7-9 rwhp on the FRPP. That's from Doug Bama himself. Its why he never carried the FoMoCo one on his site.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Don't know about the 6ers but on the 3v v-8 equal tunes between say a FRPP and C&L, you're giving up about 7-9 rwhp on the FRPP. That's from Doug Bama himself. Its why he never carried the FoMoCo one on his site.
makes sense for the 4.6 but not sure how much difference in the 4.0
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

so does the frpp cai come with the intake tube too or does it reuse the stock one?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

I have the FRPP CAI on my car. Started with the Ford Racing Pro Cal tune. It was decent. I upgraded to the SCT Tuner, tuned by Bama....and holy $#hit. Hell of an improvement over Ford Racing's "conservative" tune. Plus, American Muscle/Bama has WAY, WAY, WAY better customer service than the guys at Ford Racing give.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM
07TX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
Didn't see this post before, but looks like I made the right choice. Hadn't seen the Ford reports, but figured that was the case, by the way the housing looked. It does really seal off with the hood insulation. Put the Ford Racing CAI on today, along with the SCT custom tune. I think I'm going the be extremely happy with this set up......
How do you like it? Im still debating on if I should get the frpp or another brand?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07TX
How do you like it? Im still debating on if I should get the frpp or another brand?
I really like it. Yes, the connecting tube does come with the unit, although they look like they're the same. I still used the new one, as maybe it's a little bigger in diameter. I bought it from AM, the combo package. If you look it up, I posted a picture on their site of the CAI installed on my car.

Very easy to install, I was more nervous about changing the tune. Using the 87 street tune, and very satisfied. Most noticeable are the shift changes when you get on it. Back to the CAI, I think this one looks the best, as it does look like a "factory" install. I also think it does about the best job, of getting cold area from in front of the car, rather than sucking hot engine air. Hope this helps....
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
I really like it. Yes, the connecting tube does come with the unit, although they look like they're the same. I still used the new one, as maybe it's a little bigger in diameter. I bought it from AM, the combo package. If you look it up, I posted a picture on their site of the CAI installed on my car.

Very easy to install, I was more nervous about changing the tune. Using the 87 street tune, and very satisfied. Most noticeable are the shift changes when you get on it. Back to the CAI, I think this one looks the best, as it does look like a "factory" install. I also think it does about the best job, of getting cold area from in front of the car, rather than sucking hot engine air. Hope this helps....
Helps me... lol... the only thing that would stop me from getting it is if it used the stock intake tube... mine is buried somewhere in the garage and I don't know where it is... lol