Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

aggressive tune loses it's potency??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

a question you have to ask is why the computer is watering down the tune in the first place. if it is because it is trying to make the engine more efficient then that is understand able however i have not noticed a difference in MPG. however if the engine is pulling back spark timing because of knock or some other factor and we just keep resetting this could potentially be shortening the life of our engines. Makes me wonder if the car knows something we don't.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
a question you have to ask is why the computer is watering down the tune in the first place. if it is because it is trying to make the engine more efficient then that is understand able however i have not noticed a difference in MPG. however if the engine is pulling back spark timing because of knock or some other factor and we just keep resetting this could potentially be shortening the life of our engines. Makes me wonder if the car knows something we don't.
In my case the adaptive learning has weakened the tune, but in way of MPG. It has been a few months since I loaded the tune last. I was getting between 23-24 mpg, now I reset the adaptive learning and reloaded the same tune, it drives a lot stronger. Using about the same driving habits I am only getting 19-20 mpg.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Automatic transmission adaptive learning isn't going to be functional in our tunes, so that's not the culprit.

Regular "adaptive learning" will not affect WOT, only part throttle and idle operation. This adaptive learning also only affects fueling based off of feedback from the o2 sensors. Possible causes: developing vacuum leak or exhaust leak, bad o2 sensor (front/upstream).

Other than that, there's no way a tune will "lost potency over time". Except in your head!

With all that being said... I reset the battery in my 07 GT and it feels like a rocket ship all of the sudden. However, coast-down/sweep/step tests on the dyno that I've done before show absolutely no change, whatsoever.

There's a few air tables that have to be filled in, as well as a few spark habits that have to be "learned". These could easily be responsible for the "difference" that makes it feel more powerful. HOWEVER, this is not considered "adaptive learning".
Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
There's a few air tables that have to be filled in, as well as a few spark habits that have to be "learned". These could easily be responsible for the "difference" that makes it feel more powerful. HOWEVER, this is not considered "adaptive learning".
But would these be significant enough, while "relearning", to result in REAL and noticeable performance improvement? Maybe we need a subroutine that constantly "empties" these tables and habits...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Okay so our tuned cars develop some sort of virus, and a reflash kills it?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with your tunes, there's nothing wrong with your adaptive learning and there's nothing wrong with your car. It only leaves one option.

Tune losing it's aggressiveness, sheesh.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

, there's no way a tune will "lost potency over time". Except in your head!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Other than that, there's no way a tune will "lost potency over time". Except in your head!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHiX0FZcjkA

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 10-14-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
But would these be significant enough, while "relearning", to result in REAL and noticeable performance improvement? Maybe we need a subroutine that constantly "empties" these tables and habits...
That's the $1,000,000 question.

I don't think it's responsible for it, but then I reset my battery and feel the same thing. It could be in my head. We're not talking about a night/day difference.

Cars develop lots of things over time that feel like power issues. Creaks, lower/higher tire pressure... when you hit a real good pothole, your car almost feels like it's mad at you. I think this is 90% psychological, 10% KAM memory.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's the $1,000,000 question.

I don't think it's responsible for it, but then I reset my battery and feel the same thing. It could be in my head. We're not talking about a night/day difference.
Agreed.

Cars develop lots of things over time that feel like power issues. Creaks, lower/higher tire pressure... when you hit a real good pothole, your car almost feels like it's mad at you. I think this is 90% psychological, 10% KAM memory.
You left out how nice it rides after you wash it. And we know that THAT'S not psychological... LOL!

Quick Reply: aggressive tune loses it's potency??