Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Well, I really messed this one up. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:22 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Default Well, I really messed this one up. Need some help.

So I was putting on my C&L CAI today. I followed the instructions on American Muscle exactly.

The problem is, I got distracted while putting the MAF sensor in the new housing and started to screw it in with the old screws! I got 1 screw almost in (it wasn't easy, but it wasn't too hard at first) before I realized what I was doing. It started to get kind of hard to turn, so I stopped, noticed the little baggy with the right screws, and understood what I had done.and slowly, carefully, tried to unscrew it, but it wouldn't budge. I applied a little pressure and the head snapped right off! It was almost flush, so I couldn't grip it with anything. I had this little screw extractor thing, so I went to try it. I drilled the hole and then went to use the extractor, but the extractor wouldn't grip the screw no matter what I did. I called up some people I know who are good with it and they suggested drilling the whole thing out and re-tapping it, but I am not about to do that.

Does anyone know anything that can help? I have to go to my first day at my first job tomorrow and don't know if I can find another ride.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is there any chance you can get to even just a small portion with a pair of vice grips? My only other suggestion is to drill it out with a bit just a tad smaller than the threads to see if you can save them.

If the old screw is in securely, you might just want to continue the install. As long as you have an air-tight seal, it should be fine.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is there any chance you can get to even just a small portion with a pair of vice grips? My only other suggestion is to drill it out with a bit just a tad smaller than the threads to see if you can save them.

If the old screw is in securely, you might just want to continue the install. As long as you have an air-tight seal, it should be fine.
Yes, I have tried it all. I even took it to advanced auto and home depot. They both said they couldn't help unless I wanted to drill it all out, and that I should just make sure it is air tight and secure and it will be fine. I probably ruined the thread anyways with the self-tapping screw, so whatever. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

well if its the aluminum CL intake, then the best thing to do would be to re-tap the hole and us a stainless steel screw to match the new threads. Its not that hard to do, and patience is a virtue with re-tapping anything, never use a drill use the re-tap handle set. Irwin is the brand i use for my re-tapping needs.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

i hope everything works out for you my friend, this is something i plan to do to my PP as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I used some seriously high grade servo tape (thin, double sided foam tape) around the edges of the MAF sensor and then screwed the 1 correct screw in. It seems to be airtight, but we will see. I hope to get the hole re-tapped and all soon.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

lmao i did the same thing and had to retap mine.