Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Makes me want a GT haha

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Default Makes me want a GT haha

I was on my way to my car after the movies tonight and saw a sporty looking firebird on his way out of the parking lot so I got in my car real fast and followed him out. As we were in the turn lane to get onto the highway, a new camaro pulls up next to us. The firebird in front of me doesnt have any idea that anything's going through my mind but I could tell the camaro saw that something might possibly happen and wanted in on it. I knew I was going to get beaten but I haven't run with anyone in a decent while and I'm not all about winning anyway. It's fun no doubt, but I just enjoy finding other people who have pride in their cars and getting that adrenaline rush =) anywho, we turn on to the freeway (never raced anyone on a freeway before...usually just light to light and I never get going at a dangerous speed or fast enough to get destroyed by the law lol. So I was a little nervous that this was at a higher speed). The camaro got stuck behind a car, I whip around the firebird and get a ways ahead of him, then slow back down a bit to get next to him, we both gun it. He pulls away pretty steadily and the camaro isnt too far behind. The freeway is 4 lanes wide I think and its really late so there arent many cars and there are none in front of us. Camaro then passes me as I hit about 100 so I let off the gas and coasted back down to 65. So much more fun than the movie was haha

All I can say is, I ordered a cold air intake/tuner several days ago that shipped today...and I cant wait for it to come in haha. But it makes me want a GT even though a v6 is the way to go for a college kid who drives back home every several weekends and doesnt have a whole lot of money for gas or insurance lol. Guess I had better start saving up for that super charger =P
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Depending on when you graduate and your major's average starting salary is right out of school is, I'd say save up for that GT instead of the supercharger! That 5 grand would sure be nice to put towards a down payment!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Keep in mind, if you decide to go FI, there are a ton of other things that need to be done to the sixxer, before you can drop in a supercharger. ie, better suspension, sport clutch, bigger tranny, gears and etc.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 03-18-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Depending on when you graduate and your major's average starting salary is right out of school is, I'd say save up for that GT instead of the supercharger! That 5 grand would sure be nice to put towards a down payment!
Agreed. I have an 08 V6 and was going to trade in for a GT. Went and test drove a few of them. They're ok, but worth taking a hit while being in the negative? No.

So I went the supercharger route (X-Charger) and holy $#it, 100x funner to drive than any GT I have ever test driven.

Get yourself blown when you graduate.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Keep in mind, if you decide to go FI, there are a ton of other things that need to be done to the sixxer, before you can drop in a supercharger. ie, better suspension, sport clutch, bigger tranny, gears and etc.
You don't need to do these things. They might be helpful if you're taking the car to the track and racing it every weekend, but for a daily driver...no.

I spoke with Dave at Explorer Express extensively on this subject, and he was adamant that you didn't need to upgrade anything to drop in his X-Charger.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

IMO its so much cooler to have a V6 and kick someone's ***, than a GT.
Everyone expects a GT to be fast, not so much a V6.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
You don't need to do these things. They might be helpful if you're taking the car to the track and racing it every weekend, but for a daily driver...no.

I spoke with Dave at Explorer Express extensively on this subject, and he was adamant that you didn't need to upgrade anything to drop in his X-Charger.
Yea... Thats all cause the Xcharger only makes like what 270rwhp? Lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Yea... Thats all cause the Xcharger only makes like what 270rwhp? Lol.
X-Charger Xtreme Intercooled makes a minimum of around 300RWH on crappy California gas. Plenty of guys are push 328RWH 339RWTQ with better gas and a dyno tune. Not to mention they don't have to wait for high rpm for some fun since the torque is all in by about 2000 RPM unlike Vortech. Torque wins races!

Last edited by Nice Pony; 03-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
X-Charger Xtreme Intercooled makes a minimum of around 300RWH on crappy California gas. Plenty of guys are push 328RWH 339RWTQ with better gas and a dyno tune. Not to mention they don't have to wait for high rpm for some fun since the torque is all in by about 2000 RPM unlike Vortech. Torque wins races!
Vortech comes on around 2700-3000 so its not much different... Fastest X Charger w/o any nitrous is Jim's 12.6....? Plus you have to break down the cost difference. $6000 w/ intercooler? Not trying to start a war just stating facts as to why the xcharger wouldn't "need" supporting mods.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

oh lord here we go again. another gd argument about vortech vs xcharger. Might as well end this argument because everyone knows Myself, gaylon, and jeremy( if he is on this forum) could go on for days arguing...

if u want to see this argument search it on the mustang collective, about 10 ****ing thousand threads will pop up

Quick Reply: Makes me want a GT haha